2412S PLM not Discontinued.

Brian H

Hi Troy,

I'm kind of a newcomer to the ISY myself...so these are just my observations:

I am using the 2413SH PLM (I think identical to the 2413S, but enabled for HouseLinc). So far it's worked flawlessly with no errors produced in the event log and no issues with X-10 (although, I'll admit that X-10 is only about 10% of my system now). I also like having the RF bundled right with the PLM.

As far as phase coupling goes, my house is big. I have two large circuit breaker panels and a 3rd panel for circuits powered by the emergency generator. I've found two things that seem to work reliably to pass signals: wireless access points (2413S PLM, plug-in lamp modules, etc.), and the hardwired phase coupler at the panel. I'm actually using a combination of the two (Panel A has a wired phase coupler, Panel B has two wireless access points, Generator Panel has the PLM on the only phase I care about). This combination works great and I go months without seeing any Insteon communication issues.

Hope that helps a bit.

P.S. I'm not sure if they're still offering it, but SmartHome was having a pretty good deal for two LampLinc's (with wireless access point) and a RemoteLinc. It wasn't hugely expensive, and included a lot of useful products for my installation...

-Brian

The issue I have seen is the V1 Thermostat Adapter reported.

I see some first hand information was provided by belias.

I have a small installation with one Access Point on each phase.

My still used Primary X10 addresses in my Insteon devices and X10 devices with no Insteon counterpart. Are coupled by a JV Engineering XTB-IIR. It blasts over 10 volts of X10 signals back on the phases and knows enough to not read part of the Insteon Messages as an X10 one and scramble stuff.

Brian,

That actually helps alot. It gives me some confidence that when I install the ISY in my brother-in-law's house that is only about 2300 sq ft, it will work as advertised with the 2413S. His entire backyard is controlled by X-10 and my sister has given me a fairly large budget to get the inside of the house done for his birthday next month. The important thing is it needs to work reliably. I am setting everything up at my house so that I can experiment with getting the isy set up.

Troy

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:

I checked the Smarthome web site.

Both the 2412S Serial and 2412U USB PLMs are discontinued. Suggested replacements are the 2413S serial and 2413U USB Dual Band PLMs.

They also are listing a 2412SR Refurbished serial PLM.

Simplehomenet still has their EZICOMM version of the 2412S.

Archived