Bond Ceiling Fans

hart2hart
Go to solution Solved by Goose66,

I've added 3 ceiling fans to my Bond bride.  Each of them have 3 speeds on the Bond App where they can distinctly set the fan to Low, medium or High. On Bond, they are called Speed1. 2.  3.  I can even tell alexa to Turn Media fan Speed3 and it goes to high -- for example. When you discover you only get the Fan but not the speed "Devices" feels like they should be there. I'd like to request they be added.

Also, all three of my fan lights can be dimmed but they are discovered as NoDimm -- why?

@hart2hart Sorry for the late reply:

1) One of my favorite shows as a teenage/young adult male (you da bomb, Mrs. H!)

2) Speed is a state value of the fan device. You can control it from the Admin Console, you can retrieve it and set it in programs, you can drop the fan device in a scene and have Insteon and ZWave devices control it. It doesn't fit standard ISY node design patterns to have separate nodes (i.e., separate devices) for the individual speeds. 

BTW, speed is accessible  two ways: The default state value (ST - "Fan Speed") of the fan, that can be read and set as a percentage value of the max_speed number of the fan,  and a separate command "Set Speed" that can be used to set the fan to a specific speed number, e.g., in your case 1, 2, and 3. This was done to both give discreet control to fan speed as well as allow the fan to be dropped into a scene with a dimmer switch and and allow the dimmer to control the fan speed.

3) Dimmable lights are only added for fan lights where the brightness value can be set to a specific value (i.e., supports "SetBrightness" API command). This is because that is the only way the node server can control the brightness. If your fan simply responds to the holding of a button to alternately brighten or dim the light (specifically made for interactive control by a human), then there is no way for the node server to recreate this behavior programmatically, primarily because it doesn't have access to a light sensor to know 1) what the brightness level currently is and 2) whether the action from the button is currently brightening the light or dimming the light. 

That said, if your fan light can't be set to a specific value but has separate commands (buttons) for increasing brightness and decreasing brightness, there is an argument to be made that there is an interim light type between "LIGHT" and "NODIM_LIGHT" that could be supported by the node server. I would be interested in hearing from folks in this regard. The unfortunate truth is that I currently (after the move) only have two ceiling fans of exactly the same type to work with, and they only have light and brightness toggle buttons, not separate light on or off or bright or dim commands (buttons). If you could provide the FCC ID of your remote, I might be able to set it up as a device in my Bond Bridge and then play with it (without the actual fan to see the real-world response) and see what I can do in this regard.

• Like 1

EDIT — I created programs for fan off, low, medium, and high instead of creating mixed device type scenes (they are in essence the same thing but programs give more control it appears in this case) on ISY. Used scenes same as defined for a fanlinc to keep right button light on. Created a program to turn off all buttons including the off button when turning fan off.

Works great!

1) One of my favorite shows as a teenage/young adult male (you da bomb, Mrs. H!)

Not the source of screen name but oh the memories. Lol

2) Speed is a state value of the fan device. You can control it from the Admin Console, you can retrieve it and set it in programs, you can drop the fan device in a scene and have Insteon and ZWave devices control it. It doesn't fit standard ISY node design patterns to have separate nodes (i.e., separate devices) for the individual speeds. 
BTW, speed is accessible  two ways: The default state value (ST - "Fan Speed") of the fan, that can be read and set as a percentage value of the max_speed number of the fan,  and a separate command "Set Speed" that can be used to set the fan to a specific speed number, e.g., in your case 1, 2, and 3. This was done to both give discreet control to fan speed as well as allow the fan to be dropped into a scene with a dimmer switch and and allow the dimmer to control the fan speed.

I saw it on admin console and tried putting the device into 3 scenes linked to keypadlinc buttons. I though I’d set the speed as desired and then pull the Media fan into corresponding scene with associated button. It appears that I’m only getting last speed I declared so feel I’m obviously doing something wrong. To the point, How would/could I put same fan device into 3 scenes and each would be at a different speed?
  • Solution

You should be able to drop the KeyPad Linc button in the scene as a controller and the Ceiling Fan in the scene as a responder, then set the Ceiling Fan link type in the scene to "Command" with command "Set Speed" with the parameter "Speed" set to whatever speed number you want.

Turning the scene on should set the fan to the selected speed. Turning the scene off should turn the fan off.

If you leave the link type of the Ceiling Fan in the scene at "Default," then when you turn the scene on it should indeed turn on the fan back to the previously set speed (as remembered by the Bond bridge).

EDIT: I was going to point out that you could also use the Link Type of "Default" and set an On Level percentage, but this does not appear to be an option. Seems like it use to be. You could use a "Command" type of "On" and set a percentage there. The node server was designed to allow the fan to respond to DIM and BRT commands as well, so that an Insteon SwitchLinc Dimmer could be used to control the fan speed, but that appears not to work either due to a design problem in the node server. Right now DIM and BRT commands make the fan change its speed in one speed number increments, instead of the percentage changing the correct amount and then the fan calculating a new speed number from the new percentage, as would be more intuitive.

I don't currently have any Insteon SwitchLincs in my new townhome, and I wasn't going to install any due to Insteon being defunct. However, I do have 10 or 12 switches in boxes and no other alternative right now, so I may install some just to get some basic functions working, then I can play with this design.

Edited by Goose66