2473 working correctly?

Zick

I just wired up a 2473 outlet and tested the outlet w/ a voltmeter which read 120v when on but when I pushed the button to turn it off the voltage only dropped to 107v.

Is this the way it's suppose to work, I would have though it would have droppd the voltage to almost zero.

The module may have a small capacitor across the relay contacts for protection. With only the high impedance of the meter on the switched outlet. It still may read some voltage. If you added a small load to it like a 4 watt night light bulb. It most likely would be zero. You may also find a real low current LED bulb may also glow dimly even when off.

I don't know if the OutletLinc has local control sensing, but if it does. That also would read on a high impedance meter.

My ApplianceLinc's are the same way. A high impedance meter reads some voltage even when off and low wattage LED bulbs glow dimly.

Yes, that's part of the Load Sensing circuitry built into the controlled outlet on the OutletLinc. It provides voltage but very restricted current, not enough to power the load but enough to detect when the load is switched off then on.

From the product page:

"Load Sensing allows you to manually turn on the lamp or appliance you plugged into OutletLinc by using the switch on the lamp or appliance itself, without sending a command from an INSTEON or X10 controller. When the controlled lamp or appliance is in the off state (with Load Sensing enabled), OutletLinc will "sense" that you are trying to turn on your lamp or appliance with its built-in switch. When OutletLinc "senses" this, it will turn on the controlled lamp or appliance automatically."

This circuitry is built into LampLincs, ApplianceLincs and OutletLincs.

But according to the manual by default load sensing is turned off.

Maybe I'll have to find a load to put onto it and then measure voltage. I was just worried that with 107v on shut down that it would be like a severe brown-out condition and might damage something.

Archived