A few UD devices that need a loving home

jlegault

I have a few items I no longer need:

Polisy non-pro unit - $175

Zwave/Zigbee + matter module and USB enclosure - $90

ISY 994ZW/IR Pro with the 500 series Zwave upgrade- $100

All were working as of a few minutes ago (the matter module is still waiting for firmware).

Finally decided to move on, hard decision - but someone will be happy to pick this stuff up!

Thanks

4 hours ago, upstatemike said:

What are you moving on to?

I discovered the world of low power micro PCs and picked up 12th gen intel unit with enough resources to run proxmox and then HAOS in a VM. It's turning out to be more aligned with my values and vision for home automation.  

I never really saw the point of virtual machines. Too much centralization and contention in sharing hardware ports etc. My Home Automation strategy is federated systems with each unit playing to its particular strength, high resiliency due to independance from failures in other areas, and easier incremental evolution of the system from upgrading one isolated component at a time.

I do have to admit though that most people prefer your philosophy to mine.

2 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

I never really saw the point of virtual machines. Too much centralization and contention in sharing hardware ports etc. My Home Automation strategy is federated systems with each unit playing to its particular strength, high resiliency due to independance from failures in other areas, and easier incremental evolution of the system from upgrading one isolated component at a time.

Mostly I did this so I could hit the "undo" button :) as I was learning.  It's possible it will help with a disaster recovery later, but rolling back snapshots is a nice hack. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, upstatemike said:

I'd love to run IoX on a VM. I've built rack mounted 2u server mostly to run kids' game servers and I'd rather run everything there. You can shared CPU power and memory, etc. The only thing I don't want to run on shared hardware is a firewall. Even that - when I've ruined by firewall box trying to replace dying fan, I ran it on a VM for a while, until new hardware came from china.

I'm a lot more comfortable with my server that I've built and picked parts for, than some generic box with generic parts. And it does't take rack or shelf space and a separate power brick and a separate network port, etc.

What a lot of folks consider unneeded duplication, I see as redundancy and resilience. I like the idea of minimizing any dependencies between systems and maintaing high reliablity. I don't care about power consumtion or shelf/rack space required. I just want things to work, continuously and with zero latency, no matter what.

3 hours ago, upstatemike said:

What a lot of folks consider unneeded duplication, I see as redundancy and resilience. I like the idea of minimizing any dependencies between systems and maintaing high reliablity. I don't care about power consumtion or shelf/rack space required. I just want things to work, continuously and with zero latency, no matter what.

This is basically my position, I'd prefer not to have IoX on the same hardware that might need repair / repetitious rebooting to fix something unrelated etc.   Dedicated hardware for all!

I understand what you guys are saying about reliability, etc. What I'm saying is - IMHO, my VM host is more reliable. I have amd 5700x cpu with plenty of power, 64g ec2 server memory, very fast m2 drive, 2 1g ethernet port and 2 10g ethernet port, BMC console. I run phone system, unifi controller, vixen, multiple game servers. Yes, if power supply fails, it all goes down. True. But if had some lower quality small machines for each, possibility of failure of 1 out of 5 PSUs or 1 our of 5 generic cheap SSDs is higher. I've had instances of cheap power bricks dying and cheap ssd drives developing problems. The only time I shut down the host when I upgrade BIOS or VMWare or lose power and backup runs out. I don't see how I'd have any additional latency.

I would also love to see IoX available as a generic service I can run on a VM--really it should even be able to run as a docker container.

IoX as an add-on to Home Assistant would be a great combination.

My personal setup is similar to @jlegault Home Assistant OS on a VM on a low-power device running Proxmox. It's an extra layer to potentially fail--but for the past 3 years it has been more of a benefit as an extra layer to allow troubleshooting--I don't usually have to go to the physical device (and usually don't have to be at home) and I have multiple layers of backups (HA backups, VM snapshots) and if the host dies, I can install proxmox and restore everything in ~30 min on a spare box.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, how does one assess the computing requirements for these VM setups?

For example, if you're running HASS and Frigate, would one run these in their own separate VM instance? How would you evaluate if the resources were sufficient for running something very CPU intensive like Frigate? Would one be able to throw in a TPU into the mix in such setups?

It's going to come down to testing, unless you're using some full size enterprise-grade servers.

I don't see much overhead on the Hass box, which is an old ~6th Gen i5 HP ProDesk SFF. It's runs some other minor services, but just one VM (with hassos, zigbee2mqtt, zwavejs2mqtt, and some other addons).

Frigate is running fine for me in docker, on the same Lenovo USFF 7th Gen i7 as plex (docker) and my media VM (for Linux isos). I pulled the wifi card and added a Coral mPCIe in the slot. It passes through to docker (or a VM) just fine. That box will run a Win10 VM too when needed.

When I first started getting familiar with proxmox, virtualbox and VMs I saw the giant setups on full servers like in r/homelab on reddit. But the more I read into it, running a Linux VM on something that's not extremely demanding doesn't need a massive machine.

Screenshot_20230114_205723_Firefox.thumb.jpg.c4428d06b3859caaf4bc5f8788c05fea.jpg

Edited by shbatm