ISY994 not working with Gmail for text messaging to Verizon, not due to Advanced Security issue

mvgossman
Go to solution Solved by MrBill,

I use Gmail to send text messages from the ISY994 to my Verizon cell phone. Not long go, it stopped working, and found out about the Advanced Security issue at Google that required you to set up a unique password to allow an external app (like the ISY's email capability) to use Gmail as the email client, and it started working again. Within the past week, I stopped receiving texts again.

I researched it, and supposedly Verizon has stopped passing through to Verizon's "2125551212@vtext.com" email to text feature. It also doesn't work with an email client on a regular computer to send a text to the vtext email address when using Gmail, but when using an alternative email address service (in my case, my office's domain name that uses Microsoft, I receive a text just fine.

Is there a workaround to salvage the Gmail method?

If not, what's the SMTP configuration for an alternative email address? I only have one other email, a Yahoo address, and I've tried everything and it won't work.

Edited by mvgossman
  • Solution

email to text is unreliable. there are a couple hundred threads lately on this very topic.

two possibilities:

switch to using Pushover.  Will take a little bit of a time investment to learn and get things where you want them.  This has also been recommended in most threads on the topic.

Install a dedicated email client on your phone to use with a specific separate email address, where you can have full notifications enabled.  (Spark is a good choice on iOS).

This search might help you locate other relevant threads.

46 minutes ago, MrBill said:

email to text is unreliable. there are a couple hundred threads lately on this very topic.

two possibilities:

switch to using Pushover.  Will take a little bit of a time investment to learn and get things where you want them.  This has also been recommended in most threads on the topic.

Install a dedicated email client on your phone to use with a specific separate email address, where you can have full notifications enabled.  (Spark is a good choice on iOS).

This search might help you locate other relevant threads.

Thanks! I didn't find anything specific in a search with respect to the VTEXT for Verizon being down, but now that I know it's truly down, and possibly no workaround, I just installed Pushover, and it is great. I suspect I'll find this useful in other situations. I just realized that you can set the Mail app to put up on alert notification whenever an email is received by a certain email address. One could have a special email address only used by the ISY. I'll have to think about this before I put forth that massive cost of $4.99 for lifetime Pushover use. Still, Pushover also integrates with multiple devices very nicely, although I can't get the notification to work yet on the Mac, I've got a support question to Pushover in for that.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, mvgossman said:

'll have to think about this before I put forth that massive cost of $4.99 for lifetime Pushover use. Still, Pushover also integrates with multiple devices very nicely

if you log multiple devices into the same pushover account they are all covered by the single $4.99 fee, and still individually addressable via pushover....  it's the best $4.99 I've spent on home automation...

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, MrBill said:

if you log multiple devices into the same pushover account they are all covered by the single $4.99 fee, and still individually addressable via pushover....  it's the best $4.99 I've spent on home automation...

I agree... I was joking about the cost because it's so reasonable.