Help, Why? Insteon Appliance Link has 6 entities.

vbPhil

Just getting started with HA and Universal Devices ISY/IoX Integration. I'm at HA core-2023.2.1.

Would like to understand why this Appliance Link and other Insteon devices have all these entities. Are these entities based on an actual attribute coming from IoX or is the Integration creating them based on some other reasoning?

Trying to figure out if I could be building something that uses them or just ignore (disable) the unused?

Basically, in IoX I'm used to using the status of a device and turning them on/off or dimmed/brightened.

For this older 2456S3 Appliance Link controlling an air purifier in the house I've got these entities,

1. switch.air_purifier
  2. number.air_purifier_backlight
  3. button.air_purifier_beep
  4. sensor.air_purifier_device_communication_errors
  5. switch.air_purifier_enabled
  6. button.air_purifier_query
4 hours ago, vbphil said:

Just getting started with HA and Universal Devices ISY/IoX Integration. I'm at HA core-2023.2.1.

Would like to understand why this Appliance Link and other Insteon devices have all these entities. Are these entities based on an actual attribute coming from IoX or is the Integration creating them based on some other reasoning?

Trying to figure out if I could be building something that uses them or just ignore (disable) the unused?

Basically, in IoX I'm used to using the status of a device and turning them on/off or dimmed/brightened.

For this older 2456S3 Appliance Link controlling an air purifier in the house I've got these entities,

1. switch.air_purifier
  2. number.air_purifier_backlight
  3. button.air_purifier_beep
  4. sensor.air_purifier_device_communication_errors
  5. switch.air_purifier_enabled
  6. button.air_purifier_query

My bet is it comes over from IoX.

1 is main entity you control on/off

2.3.6 are on most Insteon devices in AC (even devices that don't use them; like backlight)

5 probably mirrors whether you have the device enabled or disabled in AC.  (and your ability to change that in HA)

4 ???

I'm sure you could build something around those in HA just as you could in IoX or hide/disable them in HA if you want.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, vbphil said:

Home Assistant has shifted more to the 'Device' having a main control entity, and then any available configuration and diagnostic options exposed as entities (versus a single entity and everything else being hidden in an attribute somewhere or requiring a custom service).

The 'device' page in Home Assistant should be akin to clicking on a node in the Admin Console and the entities are the different buttons and options.

You can disable or hide whatever you don't need.

Also, the way the entities are categorized, only the main one should show up by default for dashboards or exposed to Alexa/Google if you use that.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, shbatm said:

Home Assistant has shifted more to the 'Device' having a main control entity, and then any available configuration and diagnostic options exposed as entities (versus a single entity and everything else being hidden in an attribute somewhere or requiring a custom service).

The 'device' page in Home Assistant should be akin to clicking on a node in the Admin Console and the entities are the different buttons and options.

You can disable or hide whatever you don't need.

Also, the way the entities are categorized, only the main one should show up by default for dashboards or exposed to Alexa/Google if you use that.

This is great information, thanks for the help! 🙂

12 hours ago, shbatm said:

Also, for anybody else that's listening I see that you can filter on those device, non-primary entities, on a card using the entity_category property. I did that on an auto_entities type card, as follows, to just get the switches' main control that currently are on.

type: custom:auto-entities
show_empty: false
card:
  type: entities
  title: Switches on
filter:
  include:
    - domain: switch
      state: 'on'
      options:
        tap_action:
          action: more-info