Replaced PLM Modem, now my Insteon devices flash red after local changes.

John Vickers

I just replaced my PLM modem with my ISY994i. I did the File / Restore PLM sequence, and it completed successfully. Here are the symptoms:

1. If I tell a switch to change status from the ISY, it does change and the status of the switch updates to the commanded state.
  2. If I change the switch locally (IE press the switch directly), it will change, but there is a red flashing light and the ISY994i status doesn't update.
  3. If I re-link with any of the linking options, there is no change.
  4. If I delete the switch and re-link, it will work properly.

I don't want to rebuild my network from the ground up as that would be very tedious. Any ideas on how I can repair the links to get all the devices to report to the new PLM properly?

Thanks!

John Vickers

The red light no longer blinks when the switch is changed locally, but the status is still not coming back to the ISY994i. 

I also checked the event log this time set to level 3, when the switch is pressed, nothing is coming up in the event log.

Another switch right beside it that I did delete and re-link does have a lot of traffic in the log when switched locally.

Try doing a factory reset on the switch, then a restore device.

to factory reset, pull out the set button then push it in and continue holding it in, the switch will beep. Once the beeping stops let go of the set button, the load will turn on, then do a restore device.

Let me know if that fixed it.

Try removing power from both the PLM and the ISY.  Wait about 15 seconds then power up the PLM. Wait another 15 seconds then power up the ISY.

You can also try clicking on TOOLS, DIAGNOSTICS, SHOW PLM LINKS TABLE. What is the link count?

What is your ISY and UI firmware versions?

Is the PLM new or used. What is the date code and version on the PLM?

Is the green led on the PLM a solid green?

My old PLM died, thankfully Insteon just started shipping their new upgraded PLMs with better caps for supposed better longevity. So this is a brandy new PLM hot off the presses!

PLM table has 75 entries.

Firmware and UI are both V 5.3.0

LED is solid green.

Rebooting the system (PLM then ISY) didn't help either.

I would have to go through and count, but it is around 34 devices.

I don't really want to upgrade until I figure this out. This version was working for me quite well before, and none of the fixes listed since then really apply to my network.

It really seems like the issue is the switch not knowing which device to send it's update messages too since they are not showing up in the diag event viewer, but the switch is responding when it receives commands from ISY.

What I don't understand is why just relinking the switch without removing it from ISY isn't working.

@John Vickers

Is this happening to just one device or multiple devices?

Right click on the device, click on DIAGNOSTICS, SHOW DEVICE LINKS TABLE.

After the device links fully populates, click on COMPARE. Does the compare show any mismatched links other the last one which should be all 0.

Being that you have a new PLM I'm wondering if Insteon made any changes in their PLM firmware that's causing a compatibility issue.

This has happened to every switch I have tried so far. I was just working along these lines of exploring the link tables. 

It looks like somewhere along the way of updating the PLM, my ISY tables lost the address of the PLM. This may be from before I knew my previous PLM was toast, I tried restoring it, which may have zero'ed out the addresses.

The ISY and Device table were matching on the fan that was not responding correctly, but the first 4/5 address were all 0. 

After deleting and re-linking the fan, the address for the new PLM showed up in the first 4 links.

Is there a way I can edit the full ISY link table as an XML? I should be able to do a find/replace on the 4 address types for switches and dimmers to replace the 0 address with my new PLM address? Then I should be able to do a Restore devices to push the ISY table out to the devices themselves correct?

Edited by John Vickers

It appears that your ISY link tables got corrupted, so when you restored your PLM the corrupted links got written to the  new PLM. The only way that I'm aware to resolve this is to delete and reinstall your devices.

Needless to say, be sure to do a backup any time you make changes to your devices or programs.,

• Like 1