Welcome home setup?

kcrossley

I'm using a Dakota Alert IR-3000 infrared detector and I'd like to setup a program that turns on the front porch lights and a living room lamp, both of which are controlled by an Insteon 8 button KeypadLinc.

I only want this program to activate AFTER sunset and BEFORE sunrise, so it won't waste energy, and I'd like the lights activated to turn off 15 minutes after they've been triggered.

How do I set that up?

Thanks,

Kelly

Is the front porch lights controlled by the KPL primary load? If not, how is it controlled. How is the lamp controlled? Is it on a lamp module? Are you familiar with the signal recieved by the ISY when the dakota transmits a signal?

I can only speak in generalities. One option would be to create a program folder, with the condition:

if time is from sunset to sunrise, next day

In this folder, put a program:

If 

control "dakota IR reciever" is turned on

then

run program "porch lights" (then path)

Not in any folder, create a program called "porch lights":

If

then

turn on porch lights
turn on living room lamp
wait 15 minutes
turn off porch lights
turn off living room lamp

else

These are generalities with code that is probably not to exact ISY verbage, but perhaps that will give you some ideas to solve your problem.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Yes, front porch lights are controlled by button 1, which I believe is the KPL primary load.

2. Lamp is controlled by a LampLinc contoller.

3. I am not familair with the signal received by the ISY.

Thanks,

Kelly

I am not familair with the signal received by the ISY.

It sounds like your request has less to do with setting up a program and more to do with how to use the Dakota IR and reciever systems with the ISY. Looking at some of you previous topics and posts, it appears you already have the Dakota system linked with each other and with the ISY, correct? It also sounds like you have this already set up as a controller in a scene, correct? Does the Dakota show up in your device list? Have you ever tried using the Dakota as a control in a program?

I understand, and agree with your perspective on wasted energy, and the limitations on scenes with regards to time. I still wonder about:

1. Does your Dakota not show up in your device (my lighting) list?

2. Can you not use the Dakota as a control in a program?

The Dakota EZSnsRF receiver shows up, as do the KPL and LampLinc, but the IR-3000 does not. I have not been able to successfully use the EZSnsRF as a control in a program, but I'm not a programmer, so I could have something coded wrong.

Thanks for your help.

I have not been able to successfully use the EZSnsRF as a control in a program, but I'm not a programmer, so I could have something coded wrong.

I am not a programmer, either, but the ISY does most of this work. If you were unable to add a program control (or a status) based off the Dakota or the EZSnsRF (or a node in the EZSnsRF), then I am fresh out of ideas. I made the assumption that the EZSnsRF sent an insteon message, when it is triggered, that could be used as a control.

If you want to perform an experiment, open the event viewer in the ISY and trigger a motion event at the Dakota motion detector. See what events happen, if any, as a result. This may give us more ideas how to accomplish your goals.

I suppose there are options to change scene settings based on time of day, but this is contingent on device versions. It is also a major work-around, in my mind.

kcrossley wrote:

I'd like to setup a program that turns on the front porch lights and a living room lamp, both of which are controlled by an Insteon 8 button KeypadLinc.

I only want this program to activate AFTER sunset and BEFORE sunrise, so it won't waste energy, and I'd like the lights activated to turn off 15 minutes after they've been triggered.

Here’s what I have. Only instead of a motion detector, I use a low voltage I/O unit that monitors the garage door. If my home is in the ‘Away’ mode, outdoor and indoor lighting scenes are activated when the door opens. If I’m home, the outdoors lights go on when I open the garage door from the inside. This is nice for those long winter nights when I have to run the garbage up to the street.

My ISY programs include ‘Flags’ to indicate away and night time modes. The programs can execute (or not) based on the flag settings. Here is a sample program that sets the nighttime flag to True when it is dark: Otherwise, the flag is False.

Program content for ‘Dark Time’

If

---From Sunset + 15 minutes

---To 1:25:00AM (next day)

Then

---Run Program ‘Flag Dark’ Then Path

Else

---Run Program ‘Flag Dark’ Else Path

Upon arrival, my ISY executes the following to turn on basic interior lighting & heating.

Program content for ‘Arrive Motion’

If

---Control ‘_Garage sensor’ is switched On

---And Program ‘Flag Away’ is True

Then

---Run Program ‘Arrival’ Then Path

Else

---No Actions (To add one, press ‘Action’)

The outdoor lighting is controlled with an independent program that is filed in my ‘Outdoors’ folder that contains these parameters;

Folder conditions for ‘Outdoors’

If

---Program ‘Flag Dark’ is True

---And Program ‘Flag Party’ is False

Then

---Allow the programs in this folder to run.

So if it’s dark the Flag Dark is true (providing we aren’t in a party mode) the outdoor entry lights come on with the following program. When the door closes, the else path executes which puts the outdoor lights on a 15 minute timer

Program content for ‘Garage Door Open’

If

---Control ‘_Garage sensor’ is switched Off

---And Control ‘_Garage sensor’ is not switched On

Then

---Set ‘Out Driveway’ 80%

---Set ‘Out Entry’ 55%

Else

---Run Program ‘Limited Out’ (Then Path)

Hope this helps.

To get my EZSnsRF working with the WMT-3000 PIR, I ended up doing a factory reset on the and EZSnsRF and setting the address switches on the WMT-3000 to something other than zero. I changed the dip switches so that the node address ends in 1.

I am sucessfully using the EZSnsRF/WMT-3000 in a program to control my outside lights.

Regards,

Bruce

The Dakota EZSnsRF receiver shows up, as do the KPL and LampLinc, but the IR-3000 does not. I have not been able to successfully use the EZSnsRF as a control in a program, but I'm not a programmer, so I could have something coded wrong.

Thanks for your help.

The orginal switch settings, were all off and I was unable to get the node address to work in a program. I don't know if it was working in a scene since all of my switches for the outdoor lights are X-10.

I unlinked the EZSnsRF and did a factory reset on it. I then changed switch #1 to on. I then used the isy-99 to relink the EZSnsRF and then my program started with the PIR.

One other change I made was to set the internal timer on the EZSnsRF to 30 seconds to eliminate a lot of repeated status changes.

When I got it working, I stop playing with it since I didn't want to make it not work. So I have 3 changes that were made once so I can't absolutely say it was the address change that made it work.

Later on I added EZLQD sensor to the EZSnsRF and have it working in a program also.

One observation is that the range for the EZSnsRF drops significantly when its signals goes through walls. I ended up starting with the PIR really close to the EZSnsRF and then tested to see if the program worked. I then I moved it a few feet away and tested again. I repeated the process until the program stopped working so that I could determine the range and any dead spots.

Hope this helps.

So before you changed the dip switch you weren't able to use it in a program?