KPL link table reports different each time I ask for it. Bad KPL? Corrupt data? Something else?

dex

I have a KPL that inconsistently reports device links when I choose Diagnostics -> Show Device Links Table.

For example, I just ran that Device Links command 3 times over a 15-minute period.  No changes were made to the system.  No comms errors were reported.  See the comparison in the attached image.

The number of links in the KPL always comes up short of the 78 that should actually be there.  On a few occasions, I get a "Record Missmatch" for a link or two.  Never the same links, and it doesn't always happen.

I've done it perhaps a dozen times this morning, and the device table is different each time.  When I do the same for other devices in the system, no problem -- the table is repeatedly the same and matches the table in IoX (as I'd expect).  

I've done a complete factory reset and restore.   There was no improvement; the link table is reported slightly different each time.

Is this a communication issue that's not generating the "Cannot Communicate With ___" message?  Could it be a bad sector of memory?  Something else?

Any troubleshooting tips before I spend $80 on a new KPL?

I'm running 5.6.2 on Polisy.

Picture3.jpg

Other Insteon traffic is your issue.  If other traffic happens during the link count the count will be inaccurate.  known issue. 

"Other traffic" of course includes turning a device or scene on or off... but also can includes motion from Insteon motion sensors or any Insteon wireless traffic including heart beats and low battery.   do link counts when no one else is home, stop programs using an false folder condition on the root folder,  if you have motions avoid triggering them or cover them.  there still could be heartbeat traffic from a battery device during the link count... if there is the count will be wrong.  For this reason do more than one link count.

the gist of the issue when doing a link count it is running down a list from top to bottom.... other traffic will make the process continue from the other traffic's position in the list of links.. in other words the pointer can jump forward in the list or back.

• Thanks 1

@dex

I have a large quantity of KPLs and occasionally get 1 or 2 mismatched links. What you're experiencing is most likely a KPL with a failing memory

Run diagnostics "Show ISY Link Tables" a few times. If the result is consistent, then the problem is in the KPL.

What is your firmware and UI version.

How old is the KPL, what is the KPL firmware version?

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, MrBill said:

Other Insteon traffic is your issue.  If other traffic happens during the link count the count will be inaccurate.  known issue. 

"Other traffic" of course includes turning a device or scene on or off... but also can includes motion from Insteon motion sensors or any Insteon wireless traffic including heart beats and low battery.   do link counts when no one else is home, stop programs using an false folder condition on the root folder,  if you have motions avoid triggering them or cover them.  there still could be heartbeat traffic from a battery device during the link count... if there is the count will be wrong.  For this reason do more than one link count.

the gist of the issue when doing a link count it is running down a list from top to bottom.... other traffic will make the process continue from the other traffic's position in the list of links.. in other words the pointer can jump forward in the list or back.

Thanks, @MrBill.  It was a pretty quiet time on the powerline network and I've watched the detailed log during the process.  There were a few runs at this where I had no other Insteon traffic, but still saw the inaccurate link lists.  

That said, the behavior you describe (which is good to know about) strikes me as a flaw in how the link inventories are taken from a device.  Some error-checking logic would be prudent, it seems.  No?

1 hour ago, Techman said:

@dex

I have a large quantity of KPLs and occasionally get 1 or 2 mismatched links. What you're experiencing is most likely a KPL with a failing memory

Run diagnostics "Show ISY Link Tables" a few times. If the result is consistent, then the problem is in the KPL.

What is your firmware and UI version.

How old is the KPL, what is the KPL firmware version?

Show ISY Links Table responds quickly with the same results each time I do it.  I haven't forensically gone through each of the 78 links, but there's nothing glaringly incorrect when I inspect list.  

Firmware and UI versions are 5.6.2.

The KPL is v.45