Pool Lights

cmerlino

Need some input here. I'm controlling my pool lights via eisy and GE Enbrighten Z-wave 40 amp Indoor/Outdoor switch powering a 100 watt 12vac transformer. In order to change the color of the pool lights, you need to switch the lights off/on a prescribed number of times (1 to 14) depending on the pattern/color desired. Interestingly, the "official" light controllers do the on/off switching on the 120v side of the setup, but in any case, I'm not using one of those. So...

I wrote a set of programs to set the pattern/color like this example:

Patriot Dream 5 - [ID 003C][Parent 0044]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Set 'Pool Lights' On
        Wait  10 seconds
        Set 'ZW 012 Pool Lights' Off
        Set 'ZW 012 Pool Lights' On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The thing is, banging on the z-wave relay like this gives me a queasy feeling.  Also, though it seems to be working, would I be better to add a 1 second delay between each step? Or, is there a z-wave dry contact relay I can add to the 12v side, and would banging on that be better? Or, am I overthinking this?? Note, in reality, we'll only be changing patterns/colors a few times a year...

All thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

18 hours ago, Goose66 said:

I wouldn’t worry about the Zwave switch as much as the 12v transformer.

There will be no impact to the transformer, switching the output. You could use the Z wave device as a pilot relay, but likely the device has a sufficient contact rating for your load anyway. But, if you would like to relocate that wear to an easily replaced ice cube relay, you could do that. You would just use a 12V source ahead of the Z wave device through the contacts on the Z wave relay to the coil on the new load relay.

5 hours ago, roblombardo said:

There will be no impact to the transformer, switching the output. 

I'm pretty sure the OP said he was switching the 120V input to the transformer. Switching a transformer on and off rapidly can damage the transformer if it's cheap. I suggest switching the 12V down stream of the transformer. The lights can take the rapid on and off 12V - they have a solid-state power supply.