Make device serial number available to programs

johnnyt

Next time you have this plugin "up on the hoist", would you be able to add the device serial as a value one could use in a program?

I record my readings in an ISY web file (e.g. @webpage:@append:mydir/VOCdata.htm) and use excel to analyze my data, and I'm considering something more sophisticated using PowerBI or InfluxDB. The only thing that remains unique over time for some of my devices is the device serial number because I move them around and rename them to something representing the location they are in at that time. I need both a consistant unique identifier and a meaningful short name as separate data fields.

Thanks for considering it.

image.png.b892d2ee5754fb2396f143ab5ef85c79.png

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, Jimbo.Automates said:

I'd prefer not to do this since the serial number is already available in the node_name, can't you use that?

How do I access node_name in a program, e.g. write it to a variable and/or write it to a file using custom messages and the built-in web server? It doesn't come up in the selection of options I see right now.

image.png.a95be13abd336a85204d60f917b75a24.png

image.png.ea310dec93db86eb0fc3940edfed6cdb.png

the second example kind of worked but it returns more than just the serial number (e.g. 2930133445), which is all I want. It returns:

node[n001_s_2930133445]

With no "grep" function when creating custom messages, I have no way to take just the number I need out of the string created.

So I guess I'll need to find a way to parse it out of the file after the fact if it's not easy to put it in as another device attribute. Not the end of the world.