Insteon Battery Powered Devices and Programs

smithlevenson

Hey,

If I change a scene by a program to ignore a device, would that have to be updated to a battery powered door sensor before it could run the scene correctly?

I am trying to keep outdoor lights out of a scene during the day in response to a garage door open. But at night I would like the out door lights to turn on as well. I currently have a program that checks for post sunset and modifies the scene to Ignore the outdoor lights.

It doesn't seem to be working, but I want to understand how the program works with battery powered devices before I start trying to hunt down bugs. 

Thanks,

Smith 

You could create two scenes, one with and one without the device, then have a program call up the scene based on the time.

The battery operated devices will need to be put into the linking mode to update their link tables

Edited by Techman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, smithlevenson said:

Hey,

If I change a scene by a program to ignore a device, would that have to be updated to a battery powered door sensor before it could run the scene correctly?

I am trying to keep outdoor lights out of a scene during the day in response to a garage door open. But at night I would like the out door lights to turn on as well. I currently have a program that checks for post sunset and modifies the scene to Ignore the outdoor lights.

It doesn't seem to be working, but I want to understand how the program works with battery powered devices before I start trying to hunt down bugs. 

Thanks,

Smith 

They do not, you can have a program set them to ignore for that controller.  I used to do that a lot when I used them.  I still adjust levels in Insteon motion sensor controlled scenes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jimbo.Automates said:

They do not, you can have a program set them to ignore for that controller.  I used to do that a lot when I used them.  I still adjust levels in Insteon motion sensor controlled scenes.

Can you elaborate? I'm not following. How do you adjust levels in the Scene without updating the motion sensor controller. Doesn't it recieve the on level of the scene when it's updated?

20 hours ago, Techman said:

You could create two scenes, one with and one without the device, then have a program call up the scene based on the time.

The battery operated devices will need to be put into the linking mode to update their link tables

I have found the programs to be a lot slower than the Scenes. If it's the only way, then so be it. 

1 hour ago, smithlevenson said:

Can you elaborate? I'm not following. How do you adjust levels in the Scene without updating the motion sensor controller. Doesn't it recieve the on level of the scene when it's updated?

The updates are pushed to the responder so it knows what to do when the controller activates it.  The changes were made in ISY many years ago.  I have programs which set the Level variable based on time of day and this program reacts to the change.

image.thumb.png.0cc69ceb98843122130a347781234fc5.png