Elk M1 with eISY and Alexa (Voice Control)

KHouse
Go to solution Solved by Jimbo.Automates,

I wanted to ask the pro's for assistance with the ELK alarm voice integration.

In my "old" setup using MobiLinc app and ISY994i, I could set my home alarm by voice (Alexa).  (Elk M1)

However, with my "new" setup eISY + ISY Portal + UD Mobile app, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

I can add the device (alarm_N001_area_1) in the ISY portal, and give it a spoken name.  However, I'm not sure what "device" to choose (light, switch, outlet, fan, device with open/close syntax, device with set/lower/raise sytax, motion sensor, contact sensor).

I've tried "switch", and with disabling and renabling the ISY skill in the Alexa app it finds the device and spoken name, however, when I tell it to turn on or set the home alarm, it doesn't do anything.

Can anyone assist with how to properly setup the ELK alarm for voice control?  (I do have it in the UD Mobile app, and works fine to set/disable the alarm through the app without issue).

*The wiki does briefly touch on the ELK, but nothing that explains how to set the alarm on/off with voice.

**Looking to only set the alarm on with voice like before.  We still manually disarm the alarm with the app or at the keypad.

Appreciate any help that can be provided.

I wanted to ask the pro's for assistance with the ELK alarm voice integration.

In my "old" setup using MobiLinc app and ISY994i, I could set my home alarm by voice (Alexa).  (Elk M1)

However, with my "new" setup eISY + ISY Portal + UD Mobile app, I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.

I can add the device (alarm_N001_area_1) in the ISY portal, and give it a spoken name.  However, I'm not sure what "device" to choose (light, switch, outlet, fan, device with open/close syntax, device with set/lower/raise sytax, motion sensor, contact sensor).

I've tried "switch", and with disabling and renabling the ISY skill in the Alexa app it finds the device and spoken name, however, when I tell it to turn on or set the home alarm, it doesn't do anything.

Can anyone assist with how to properly setup the ELK alarm for voice control?  (I do have it in the UD Mobile app, and works fine to set/disable the alarm through the app without issue).

*The wiki does briefly touch on the ELK, but nothing that explains how to set the alarm on/off with voice.

**Looking to only set the alarm on with voice like before.  We still manually disarm the alarm with the app or at the keypad.

Appreciate any help that can be provided.

I'll need advice from @bmercier on the best device type and hint to use, but this will require changes to the ELK plugin to support.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Jimbo.Automates said:

I'll need advice from @bmercier on the best device type and hint to use, but this will require changes to the ELK plugin to support.

I'm not sure what are the capabilities of this node. I guess it's used to arm and disarm. Does it accept commands like DON/DOF?

if so, with the right hint, it could be exposed as a light.

@KHouse, You could try hint 1.2.9.0 as a test. After changing a hint, you need to add or remove/re-add the node to the spokens, then have Alexa discover your devices.

The main problem I see though is that if you expose this node directly like this, then turning on/off will allow to arm and disarm. 

If you only want to arm by voice, and prevent disarm, then I would take this approach:

1. Create a program, in the then statement, have it arm your elk. Leave the else empty.
  2. Expose the program as a light.
    • Add the program to the spokens, have Alexa discover your devices.
    • "Turn on" will run then, "turn off" will run else... which means it won't do nothing.

@Jimbo.Automates, the hint for an alarm panel should be 1.1.1.x, as defined in hints.yaml. But that will not make it work with Alexa. The skill does not currently have support for an alarm panel. But that could be a future enhancement.

• Like 2
I'm not sure what are the capabilities of this node. I guess it's used to arm and disarm. Does it accept commands like DON/DOF?
if so, with the right hint, it could be exposed as a light.
@KHouse, You could try hint 1.2.9.0 as a test. After changing a hint, you need to add or remove/re-add the node to the spokens, then have Alexa discover your devices.
The main problem I see though is that if you expose this node directly like this, then turning on/off will allow to arm and disarm. 
If you only want to arm by voice, and prevent disarm, then I would take this approach:
  1. Create a program, in the then statement, have it arm your elk. Leave the else empty.
  2. Expose the program as a light.
    • Add the program to the spokens, have Alexa discover your devices.
    • "Turn on" will run then, "turn off" will run else... which means it won't do nothing.
@Jimbo.Automates, the hint for an alarm panel should be 1.1.1.x, as defined in hints.yaml. But that will not make it work with Alexa. The skill does not currently have support for an alarm panel. But that could be a future enhancement.
Thanks. I wasn't sure with Alexa, with Google I use the approach you mentioned with a program to arm.

I also had Alexa able to arm our ELK alarm.  I created 3 simple programs, ELK ARM. ELK AWAY and ELK Vacation which only had a THEN which was to arm the ELK.  Triggered only by an Alexa routine.

That ability went away when I upgraded last month to the eISY.

I have been driving myself crazy trying to restore that ability which, once you are used to it, is sorely missed.

I have tried and believe that I have properly configured the ELK module in Polyglot.  I carefully followed

The admin console log shows taht ELK Controller is connected.  But I don't then see any of the following features under ELK Controller device in the admin console.

15. If successful, the Elk Controller and Elk Outputs, Zones and Controllers will show up on the left side where your devices are found.

16. At the top of the list of names of your zones will likely be “Home”. Click on “Home”. This will bring you to the current status of Area 1 of your alarm system. There is now a dropdown box that you can change to arm, disarm, etc. Choose what you would like to do and then click the dialog box “Set armed Status” to whatever you’ve selected. This process is different from the Elk Portal Module where the Armed status was listed next to the “Main”, “Programs”, “Configuration” part of the Administrative Console.

Any help as to what I am doing wrong????  Thanks

"M1EXP Status" False

"NodeServer Errors" 0

In my router, I port forwarded 2101 for the IP address for my ELK.  I used TCP as the protocol.  I could have also used UDP or Both.

I created a static address for the IP address for my ELK under the MIXEP Setup / TCP/IP Settings

My ELK Polyglot configuration is:

Host:  the IP Address for the ELK  with 2101.  192.168.50.xx:2101

user_code: used the password we use to arm or disarm our ELK keypad

areas: 1

outputs: 1-16

change_node_names: false

light_method NONE

I created a new topic like you suggested.

@dantoronto

"M1EXP Status" False

That's the problem.  The plugin is not connecting to your Elk M1EXP.

In my router, I port forwarded 2101 for the IP address for my ELK.  I used TCP as the protocol.  I could have also used UDP or Both.

There is no need to port forward if the eisy & Elk are both on the same LAN.

Personally I don't use the same code as other users, I create a new code just for the plugin so I can know who did it.

Please confirm with ElkRP2 that unsecure port is allowed and is set to 2101.

image.png.1bdc582ba9bd7f0c0ca0b00d4c85a228.png

Responses

Q: There is no need to port forward if the eISY & Elk are both on the same LAN. 

A: The ELK and eISY are on the same network.  To be clear, they are both connected to the same ethernet switch which is then connected to my router.  My modem is on bridge mode and it is my wireless router that gives out the IP addresses.  Is any of that a problem??

Q: Personally I don't use the same code as other users, I create a new code just for the plugin so I can know who did it.

A: Does this user_ cod mean anything?  I assume using my ELK sign in numbers is good enough.  Correct?

Q: Please confirm with ElkRP2 that unsecure port is allowed and is set to 2101.

A: I had it set to 2601.  Changed the settings to the way you show.  I then saved the changed and rebooted ELK.  I then rebooted eISY.  No change.  Still shows M1WEP status as "False"

Q: Personally I'd do this on the router and let the Elk obtain the IP from the router with DHCP.

A: I would prefer that but someone said static was better.  Should I change it?

Q: There is no need to port forward if the eISY & Elk are both on the same LAN. 

A: The ELK and eISY are on the same network.  To be clear, they are both connected to the same ethernet switch which is then connected to my router.  My modem is on bridge mode and it is my wireless router that gives out the IP addresses.  Is any of that a problem??

AA: Yes, remove the port forward.  Port forwarding is for accessing devices inside your network from outside your network.

Q: Personally I don't use the same code as other users, I create a new code just for the plugin so I can know who did it.

A: Does this user_ cod mean anything?  I assume using my ELK sign in numbers is good enough.  Correct?

AA: There is no ELK sign in for the node server.  It needs the user code to arm/disarm the system.

Q: Please confirm with ElkRP2 that unsecure port is allowed and is set to 2101.

A: I had it set to 2601.  Changed the settings to the way you show.  I then saved the changed and rebooted ELK.  I then rebooted eISY.  No change.  Still shows M1WEP status as "False"

AA: If "Enable Non-Secure" is enabled as shown in the attached, then we have some other issue.  I suspect it's the IP address.

Q: Personally I'd do this on the router and let the Elk obtain the IP from the router with DHCP.

A: I would prefer that but someone said static was better.  Should I change it?

Yes, I would.  You can assign a static IP in your router for that MAC address, that's a better way IMO to manage it.

After confirming non-secure port is enabled, please download log package and PM or email it to me.

image.thumb.png.0b4f41efffad69b3f85cf012bead9444.png

Jim
you are very patient
Here is what I have done.
1.  I have removed all port forwarding for the ELK IP Address.  I thought I had read this was required in order to access the ELK remotely.
2.  In the node configuration, for user_code, I have kept the numbers we use to arm and disarm our ELK keypad.
3.  I have changed the account details so that the Port to use for connecting is now 2101 and "Connect Non-Secure is now checked off.  Again, this is different form what I was told to do for remote access to the the ELK.
4.  I have reserved the IP Address for the ELK in both the M1XEP and my router.  Both are static.  How do I email you my log for the eISY?  I tried to attach it.
Still no change under eISY, M1EXP (sp?) Status is FALSE, NodeServer Errors is 0
Thanks much

you are very patient

No worries, usually I learn something new, and something to add to documentation if I remember...

3.  I have changed the account details so that the Port to use for connecting is now 2101 and "Connect Non-Secure is now checked off.  Again, this is different form what I was told to do for remote access to the the ELK.

The "Enable Non-Secure Port" Must be checked, and sent to the M1EXP.

4.  I have reserved the IP Address for the ELK in both the M1XEP and my router.  Both are static.  How do I email you my log for the eISY?  I tried to attach it.

Remove the static from the ELK and let it obtain from DHCP, and reboot after fixing #3 as well.

I don't want the eisy log, I want the node server log.  In the PG3 UI go to Details Page for the Elk nodeserver, then click Log, then Download Log package.  Email to jimbo.automates@gmail.com if you can't attach it in a PM and include a reference to this post so I remember what it's about.

I checked the non-secure port and sent it to the M1EXP.  By the way, is it MIXEP or M1EXP?

I unchecked status from the M1XEP setup.  And then rebooted.  Now ELK won't connect to Network

Attached is the log before I changed the static designation under the MiXEP setup / TCP/IP Settings.

Will try to figure out what is wrong now.  Sigh

Edited by Jimbo.Automates

By the way, is it MIXEP or M1EXP?

It's M1XEP

I unchecked status from the M1XEP setup.  And then rebooted.  Now ELK won't connect to Network

When you say unchecked static, I assume you meant you checked "Assigned an IP address via DHCP"?  

When you say "Now ELK Won't connect to Network"  how do you know?  Do you mean you can't connect to the ELK?  It likely went to a different IP address, confirm your reserved setting is correct on your router.

Attached is the log before I changed the static designation under the MiXEP setup / TCP/IP Settings.

I reviewed the log and it looks like the Elk library is having trouble with the host you entered, earlier you said it was "192.168.50.xx:2101" can you confirm that's exactly what it is?  Then on the same page where you did Download Log Package, set the Log to "Debug + Modules" and restart the node server.   After you figure out what is wrong with your IP reservation.

BTW, I deleted your attached log package, there can be sanative info in those logs so you should PM it instead of attaching.

Edited by Jimbo.Automates
  • Like 1

Wow.

I finally got connected.

And now under eISY/Main/ELK Controller/M1EXP it says Connected!!!

And I now have all the pull downs I need to program the program that works with Alexa.  Will test that in the morning.  Thanks so much!!!!

To confirm, I am now having ELK connect via non-secure 2101.  That is OK?  Am I less secure?

I do not have ELK making its IP Address static.  That is only done in my router.

My router now calls that address as being "Manual".  Used to say it was "Static".  Seems the same.

This seems very different from what I was following eKeypad XEP Best Practices - Dec 2017.pages

I have to figure out how to connect to the ELK remotely.  Says it should be via secure.

Should you change M1EXP to M1XEP?

• Like 1

Yeah!  Glad it's all working.  

To confirm, I am now having ELK connect via non-secure 2101.  That is OK?  Am I less secure?

That is correct.  and yes, if someone is able to get onto your LAN they can connect to the unsecure port, but they still need a user code to arm/disarm.  I could allow connecting via the secure port, but then would have to store the username/password in PG3 which does not yet have a secure way to store the data.

My router now calls that address as being "Manual".  Used to say it was "Static".  Seems the same.

This seems very different from what I was following eKeypad XEP Best Practices - Dec 2017.pages

Yes, it's the same.  and it really could be done either way, but most prefer to control it on the router side not on each individual device.

I have to figure out how to connect to the ELK remotely.  Says it should be via secure.

The secure port still works same as before.  You can also now use UD Mobile now to control it remotely

Should you change M1EXP to M1XEP?

My bad, yes it's M1XEP.

Sorry that I hijacked this topic.  Jim was extremely helpful  Thanks.

And now I have the same issue/question that KHouse had to start.  I have programs in my admin console that, with my old ISY, I could trigger by asking Alexa to Arm Alarm.  With eISY, those programs no longer work.  Interested to learn the solution.  Thanks

For years, I had my ISY connected perfectly to my ELK.  I was able to create ISY programs which allowed me to tell Alexa to arm our alarm alarm, our alarm away and  our alarm vacation.  All was great.

For whatever reason, I decided that it was time to upgrade from ISY to eISY.  For no other reason than to support UD and to future proof.

Migration certainly wasn't easy but Michel and his crew were amazing.  I finally got most features up and running.

But not my ELK module I purchased in the Polygot.  I am certainly not an expert techie.  Or even very good.  But I read everything I could to figure out how to properly configure.  The post by zorax2 was especially helpful

Initial Elk Setup for eisy (Note: Elk Module for ISY-994 does not work on eisy)

I followed each step. I think exactly, 

I created a static address for the IP address for my ELK under the MIXEP Setup / TCP/IP Settings

My ELK Polyglot configuration is:

areas: 1

outputs: 1-16

change_node_names: false

light_method NONE

But still I do not get the following steps in zorax2's post:

15. If successful, the Elk Controller and Elk Outputs, Zones and Controllers will show up on the left side where your devices are found.

16. At the top of the list of names of your zones will likely be “Home”. Click on “Home”. This will bring you to the current status of Area 1 of your alarm system. There is now a dropdown box that you can change to arm, disarm, etc. Choose what you would like to do and then click the dialog box “Set armed Status” to whatever you’ve selected. This process is different from the Elk Portal Module where the Armed status was listed next to the “Main”, “Programs”, “Configuration” part of the Administrative Console.

On the admin console, I don't have Elk Outputs, Zones and Controllers.  The Elk Controller says that NodeServe Online is "Connected".  Remote Programming Status is "Disconnected"  Everything else is "False".  And under Programs / Actions, I can't get a pull down for ELK Controller to get ELK to arm itself in a program.

Please, what am I doing wrong??!!