Minoston MR40Z

kandlg
Go to solution Solved by kandlg,

I migrated from ISY994 w/500 z-wave and have several devices that wouldn't migrate so I'm trying to exclude some of them and then re-include. The first I tried was the Minoston MR40Z switch.  I can't get it to add securely.  Without security the buttons don't aren't mapped and it is unusable.   Anyone had any luck with these switches?  Eisy with Z-Matter on 5.7.1 and 21100 Z-Wave.

1 hour ago, kandlg said:

I migrated from ISY994 w/500 z-wave and have several devices that wouldn't migrate so I'm trying to exclude some of them and then re-include. The first I tried was the Minoston MR40Z switch.  I can't get it to add securely.  Without security the buttons don't aren't mapped and it is unusable.   Anyone had any luck with these switches?  Eisy with Z-Matter on 5.7.1 and 21100 Z-Wave.

I don't have the switch you are having difficulty with, however, I've had similar experiences with other z-Wave devices. I've found that running an "Update With Interview" will many times add the missing nodes. Other times having the device inches away from the Eisy when adding it helps. I also have a few Z-Wave devices that I have not been able to successfully add to my Eisy.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

I was finally able to get this to work.  Add it through the z-wave include process with security.  All the correct nodes won't be installed at this point, but then turn on compatibility mode and synchronize - update with interview.  Pressing button three 5 times on the remote will wake it up so the interview can complete.  Once the interview is finished all four scene buttons will be available.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks I did do the above and got "switch", "keep alive", scenes 1-4 and associate groups 2-9. But now what? Do I just program the scenes "on" to do stuff, or do I add to scenes? I can not see where I perform a z-wave association. I also have a Aeotec wallmote/quad. That interviews without apparent problems, but again, what now? Insteon was a lot easier!

I agree Z-wave is harder to manage.  There may be a better way to do it, but I use the buttons as toggle switches with two programs: one for on and the other for off.  The below is an example:

image.png.722f5969fa7d1e351550770580f9ad3a.png

If a light is on, it turns the scene off.  The wait at the end prevents a perpetual on/off loop.  Not sure why it is required, but it works.  I tried putting it in one program with then as "on" and else as "off", but that went into a loop also.

Many thanks I did read the thread on z-wave associations. What a mess I thought z-wave was the way of the future alas even X10 had the scene concept built in and Insteon is arguable an equivalent transmission protocol. I have tried one Zigbee - it affects wifi on 5Mhz. I now have the button working. 

Oh I seem to remember that the conditions are reevaluated after a wait, so add a "is not switched on" to the condition. Also I'm surprised on the lack of support from UD on z-wave. The only reason I bought an EISY for migration away from Insteon.

8 hours ago, delboy said:

Also I'm surprised on the lack of support from UD on z-wave. The only reason I bought an EISY for migration away from Insteon.

If you are having an issue with a z-wave device, submit a ticket. They've helped me get some working after I converted to Eisy.  I've got all the Z-Wave devices I had running with my ISY working again.  I think the limitations are more Z-Wave than Eisy.