Programming insteon keypad via the admin console (and questions)?

ctviggen1

I installed two keypads a long time ago.  I no longer remember how I did it.  I'm using the EISY now, and in the admin console, it shows the keypad buttons. Below is a single button on the keypad.  I want this button to be a controller for a light (ideally, turn off) and then (possibly?) be a responder to the light.  I would like to program button A to turn off the light and button B to turn on the light.  I do not see a way to do this through the admin console.  Is there a way to do it?  And should each button ONLY be a controller for the switch, or is there a reason to have the button be a responder too?  Thank you.

image.png.372a0e5f1c9124c64efbf8e790aac0f3.png

You need to create a scene and put button A in the scene as a controller. Put the light in the scene as a controller.

Button A will then be able to turn the light on or off, no need for button B.

If the light is turned on manually button A will light.

In the scene you'll need to set the on level for the light, and ramp rate.

Thank you.  I did not know I only needed to use one button.  I added a scene and it works if the button for the light is pressed or I turn on the light through the admin console.  It does not work if I use an Insteon remote, but I'll research that and add a thread if necessary.

To use a battery operated remote you need to put the remote into the linking mode and then add the remote button to the scene as a controller.

Depening on the remote you're using you may have to add two remote buttons to the scene, one for on and one for off. What version of the remote are you using ?

Hi Techman, it's the latest version of the remote.  4 button.  I manually added 4 lights to it, before realizing that I could link it to my EISY. One of the lights happens to be the light that's programmed to the keypad we're discussing.

This is for an in law apartment.  The idea is that the remote is used to turn on 3-4 lights that provide light for parking and for walking the steps up to the in law door.  Once you open the door, you can directly turn off 3 of the 4 lights at a 4 gang box, one of which has the keypad (which itself turns on/off one of the lights).  The lights for parking are controlled by the A button on the keypad (thanks to you, and where the switch for those lights is in a hard to reach place).

I started a different thread about the remote here: 

Recent thread about remote

However, should I add the remote button to the scene I've already created, or add a scene for the remote button only?

Thank you, that did work after a while.  Is there a way to add something to a scene through a menu?  I have been dragging the remote button down to the new scene, and so many times I'd either lose it or I'd accidentally pick up a different light.  I'm using a mouse.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2024 at 6:50 PM, ctviggen1 said:

Is there a way to add something to a scene through a menu?

Yes. Right click on the device and then select "Add to scene". You can then pick the scene you want to add the device to from the drop down menu.