New Elk E27 controller

wmcneil

I'm moving and going to be doing a new install soon. There is a new controller, E27, that is part of the new "Alarm Engine" line of Elk controllers.

Here is some feature description from Elk for the E27 : "An on-board Ethernet port and optional Wi-Fi adapter provide secure connectivity with multi-layered authentication and encrypted communications.  E27 offers powerful automation with simplified scheduling and a robust rules engine for unrestricted customization.  Easy integration with Z-Wave devices provides convenient automation and real-time control of lights, thermostats, locks, and garage doors." The E27 uses a new "app and cloud portal" called ElkConnect, and the FAQ states that (at least the cloud part of) it requires a monthly fee. The FAQ also states that no subscription is required to create rules, BUT:

"Are subscriptions or account required for creating Rules?"

"No. Dealer/Installers can create rules for any E27 system that is online."

I am going to continue to use Eisy/Polisy for my Zwave network, so I don't care about the new Zwave features in the E27. I strongly prefer to NOT pay subscription or monitoring fees, I strongly prefer to NOT have anything in the cloud, and I strongly prefer being able to modify rules/install WITHOUT involving a dealer/installer.  So my questions are:

For a DIY/no cloud/no fees person like myself, do I stay clear of the new Alarm System controllers (and stay with M1)? Or is it possible to use the Alarm System family without paying any subscription fees? I am also wondering if ElkRP will still work with the E27, and if not, is it being replaced by ElkConnect? If so, can I use ElkConnect to fully configure rules/install without paying any fees?

Some info I have found related to some of the questions I raised in my first post:

It does appear that you can use the ElkConnect app to access an E27 locally without having a subscription. Here is the response by an Elk employee,  on a forum run by Elk, to someone posting and complaining about a subscription being required. Note that I think there are a number of typos here, but the meaning appears to be that you don't have to have a subscription:

"The requirement for an ElkConnect account is solely for the remote connectivity from the home since there is a monthly access fee required. This is only set up to invoice to professionals."

"Although the system is targeted for a local only operation, it can be archived. You can access the system locally by clicking the menu in the top left of the app from the login page, then settings, the local discovery. This will allow you to connect to the control over the local network."

Both the E27 and M1 controls are designed and marketed to the professional market, but Elk is aware there is a DIY market that uses it. From a posting by an Elk employee on a forum run by Elk:

"I will note that when we set out to create the M1 Gold we never intended it for the enthusiast market, but we are aware that there are some people out there like yourself that have installed in their personal homes and enjoyed it.  That said, we design and market our products to industry professionals."

"The ELK M1 Gold is ELK’s Premium Platform Control for High End Security and Automation . ELK will continue to offer, support and enhance the M1 System for many years to come. When the time comes the research and development that allowed ELK to create the Alarm Engine Platform and E27 Control will help us to create the next generation of M1 Gold Control."

I am leaning toward a M1 system for my new install, because there just may not be enough info out there about the all the implications of E27 before I need to pull the trigger, and it seems likely the M1 systems will be both supported and enhanced over the coming years. ( I will also buy a 7TS once they are actually available. It is not clear if I can do an install for an M1 system with just a 7TS and M1XEP, or if a M1KP*  keypad is required for an install. )

• Like 1