My friend made an Insteon honey warmer!!!!!

So my friend likes honey with his coffee. The coffee of course is automated to him getting up, but he faced an issue that sometimes his local honey would be crystalized and need warming. So he got a coffee mug warmer and automated it to turn on when the coffee started brewing. Used an I/O linc to simulate pressing the button to turn it on low, wait 1s and then press again for high. He did this by adding a cable to the switch on the mug warmer.

From him:

I used the 2 conductor 18ga SVO. The I/O unit has really small terminals so I had to use 20ga ferrules on the end.  I/O lit recommends 20-22ga but SVO seemed like good choice considering kitchen type environment. Signal measured at 5V as we suspected. Wire was soldered to back of PC board and inner standoffs allowed me to run around the edge of the heater housing to avoid heater element with a couple of zip ties. I put a little heat shrink over the cable where it exits just because.  The button is still functional.
  The heater has a timer and turns off after a certain amount of time. Heater starts when I turn on the coffee.  
  I didn’t use any connectors other than the ferrules.
  The warmer is listed as 21W. I measured .08A on low and .16A on high.

Looks like a unique setup.

Did you by chance measure from the signal wires to the I/OLinc to ground. There is a chance the warmer has a line operated supply and has a potential to ground. Though if insulated well probably would be totally fine.