Honeywell EnviraCom and EnviraZone

hjbleier

Is there anyone working on adding support for the Honeywell EnviraZone and EnviraCom communicating Thermostats and Zone Damper Controllers? I hate the Venstar T-Stats and will not use them. The remote sensors use a terrible serial comm that needs Cat3 or Cat5 cable to go any distance greater than 30 feet. Their remote sensors are custom and look ugly. I am not going to rewire houses for a bunch of remote sensors at that point you might as well go LonTalk or BACnet. Honeywell uses a standard 20K NTC thermistor that they ground the secondary to get rid of noise and so it can use standard unshielded thermostat wire. I can get nice Bapi and Kele PreCon sensors that look way nicer. Honeywell's time delays and anti-short cycle actually WORK too!!! Plus the Honeywell Stats work for more advanced multistage configurations, dual fuel, etc. the list goes on and on. Most important RF just sucks as a permanent solution.

Thanks,

Howard

• 4 weeks later...
Like IO_Guy has done? Multi Port Serial Server

Rand

That Honeywell idea is interesting but I really like the idea of the Venstar full integration, but I am a bit concerned about the complaints I have read. I know forums usually full of the issues and not so much the praise but its hard to ignore I don't have the money if the Venstar decides to mess up my AC unit with the short cycling issue I hear of. Do you think the cycling issue I read about is in the minority and that it is safe to try out the Venstar?

I have only read of that issue from one person so I have to imagine it is a one-off. I also think his homeowners insurance should cover the damage as it would for an electrical spike.

I installed the Venstar in the spring so I have used it only for cooling so far. I do like that the ISY can control and react to it. I am sending text messages to the family members so they know when to open or close their windows depending on the AC state.

Rand

• 10 months later...

Continuing a very old thread.

I stuck with the Enviracom because I personally hate wireless for anything more than internet on a laptop.

With variable support in the ISY, I have a program running which links between Enviracom and the ISY. I can see status/temperature in the ISY and set commands to changes various setting on the Honeywell.

I plan on adding a second IAQ upstairs and putting dampers on all main floor ducts.

Still undecided whether I'll use an Envirazone for this or handle it through an EZIO8SA.

• 1 month later...
Where did you get the program to control the Honeywell? I've been looking at thermostat options or the lack there of for my system. Is the Venstar thermostat that easily works with the ISY?

I wrote it. I use the Enviracom serial adapter to communicate with my IAQ. I then pass the variables back and forth with the ISY.

It works great but definitely not as integrated as an Insteon solution like the Venstar.

I use the Honeywell because of its reliability and also a few of its additional features that the Venstars don't support.

I have 3 Venstar/Totaline t-stats in my system. I find integration and use very easy. I have all 1st generation Insteon adapters, so I have never experienced the data storm problem others have complained about with the 2nd generation units. I did have 1 2nd generation adapter but recently changed it out to a 1st generation I picked up for half price on eBay. I did this not because of any problem with the unit. I just did not like all the unnecessary Insteon traffic caused by 1Ëš changes in temperature, 1% changes in humidity, and every time the unit turned on or off. This was all info I did not care about and just seemed like a waste in my case. I just wanted to be able to occasionally query the stat and be able to control it. So I went back to a 1st generation adapter on that stat as well.

I am immune from the short cycle issue as I have a zone controller between the stats and the unit, so short cycle protection is handled by the zone controller.

As far as wireless as an issue. I have no record of any failure since installation in May 2009. The t-stats and temperature control are one of the most reliable portions of my Insteon system. Wait, I take that back. Sometimes a t-stat adapter will report an errant temperature setting. Like a temperature setting of 172Ëš instead of the 86Ëš I know it is set at. This was always more an issue with the 2nd generation adapter which reported constantly vs my 1st gen that only report when queried. I am not sure that is a wireless problem vs an adapter or t-stat problem.

Overall I have been very pleased with the Venstar units.

Archived