Help Please with Fan Timer

Robermax

I have a quietCool 1500 fan in my bedroom. Since I don't have an Insteon room temperature sensor (isn't any to my knowledge), I am trying to program the fan to run based on the outside temperatures. Basically the lower the outside temp the less the fan "duty cycle" is.

I have an "inital run time" which seems to work ok- I figured we would like it on longer for the initial cycle. I am trying to get a repeating cycle of subsequent run times and seem to be having problems getting/understanding this.

I have a Master Fan Var (variable which is set True when fan KPL goes fast on).

I have an Initial Run Var (variable which is set True after any initial run).

I have a folder calles "MBR Fan Subsequent run timer" which has as conditions that both the above 2 variables are True.

Within that folder I have programs like:

If

Program 'Outside temp 61- 65' is True

Then

Wait 60 minutes

Set 'MBR / MBR Fan15.4D.81.1' On

Wait 30 minutes

Set 'MBR / MBR Fan15.4D.81.1' Off

Set 'Attic Exhaust 0F.3C.60.1' Off

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I have similar programs for other temperature ranges with different times.

When I look in the Program Summary the appropriate "Outside temp" is True.

NOW comes my question:

To test this I have gone into Program Summary and run the THEN paths for the 2 variable programs. They then turn True but the programs (not the fans) take forever to start. (I don't expect the fans to start right up since there are timer delays at the start.)

I would have thought that when the Folder conditions were met that the programs would run immediately.

Thanks for any insight.

Bob

What starts and controls the "initial run"? How long does the initial run last? To clarify, does this variable not become true until "after" the initial run?

Is it possible that the delay in starting your program is due to the fact that the initial run var takes some time (waits for completion of initial run) to become true?

What starts and controls the "initial run"? How long does the initial run last? To clarify, does this variable not become true until "after" the initial run?

Is it possible that the delay in starting your program is due to the fact that the initial run var takes some time (waits for completion of initial run) to become true?

You are correct for when the entire program actually runs. Since the program was designed that way I wanted to debug the subsequent runs without waiting so I manually set the variables by running THEN statements from the program summary.

Hello Robermax,

I am not sure if this is what you need but try adding a trigger which triggers at the same moment or after the folder becomes true run the program. In your example you could use your "MBR Fan Subsequent run timer" folder:

If 
Program 'Outside temp 61- 65' is True 
And Folder 'MBR Fan Subsequent run timer' is True

Then 
Wait 60 minutes 
Set 'MBR / MBR Fan15.4D.81.1' On 
Wait 30 minutes 
Set 'MBR / MBR Fan15.4D.81.1' Off 
Set 'Attic Exhaust 0F.3C.60.1' Off 

Else 
- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Tim

I think I have the problem/solution. To figure it out I made pretend variables,program and folder.

var1

var2

Program Folder- needs var1 and var2 TRUE to be enabled.

Program IN the Folder (PIF)

So I thought that as soon as var1 and var2 were TRUE that the folder would be enabled and PIF would run if its conditions were met. Doesn't work.

I made:

var3 and made it a condition for PIF

Now with the folder enabled I can run PIF anytime I make var3 TRUE.

So in other words there must be a new event to trigger the programs in the folder AFTER the folder is enabled.

If this is the case it was not obvious to me at first but I can work with it.

Bob

Archived