new dimmer only works when other swtichs are off

nyrhody

I have had two insteon switchlinc non dimming relays on the same circuit that are scened to control my exterior lights. These worked flawlessly for 6 months. Today I added a new switchlinc dimming switch on the same circuit and the ISY-99 only communicates with the new devise if my exterior lights are off. Very weird. Everything still works, but I continuously get a device communication error with the new switch while my exterior lights are on, as soon as I turn them off the ISY-99 communicates no problem with my new switch. But like I said everything still works, just on/off status never changes on the new dimmer and I keep getting a communication ERROR. Please help!

LeeG,

Can you explain your post a little more? Why would the voltage be anything other than 120? Also, if it is how do I fix that? This is a rather larger circuit in which also has a 50†TV and cable box, as well as several other lights on it in addition to my Insteon Controlled Exterior lights and the new Insteon Dimmer that I just installed.

In some installations. A black wire may not be a line wire and checking the 120 volts would verify it was correct.

CFLs can make power line noise. Do you have any filters on the TV and Cable box or CFLs? It is possible the noise level or signal absorption from all that electronics. Makes communications marginal to the new SwitchLinc. To the point the CFLs being On takes it over the threshold of missed communications.

Can you explain your post a little more? Why would the voltage be anything other than 120?

I believe the key word was "unswitched" power. I think he suspected that somehow the power to the new device was being interrupted when the other switches were engaged.

I find your CFL exterior lights to be the most intresting part so far. As mentioned by others, some of these can cause (or contribute to) communication problems. Since it is so easy to confirm, temporarily replace them with incandescent bulbs and see if your problem goes away.

I also agree with BLH on pointing out the TVs, cable boxes, and even your monster power supply could contribute to communication problems. First, however, check on the exterior CFL bulbs. The problem seems to be only associated with these being on.

nyrhody

It could be CFLs, some CFLs are well known to cause communication problems. It is also easy to test (unless they are in a Cathedral ceiling) by replacing them with incandescent bulbs. If the CFLs are not accessible then disconnect the Red load wires on the two existing SwitchLincs. I did not go in that direction because you did not indicate problems controlling the two existing SwitchLincs on that circuit that are actually controlling the CFLs as loads. With two SwitchLincs working for 6 months on the same circuit it seems less likely a CFL noise problem and more likely the new SwitchLinc is not wired to unswitched 120V AC.

Change the CFLs to incandescent. If that does not resolve the problem I would check the voltage going to the new SwitchLinc.

Lee

An in line filter would probably work. If it is not a generic type but one for X10 or Insteon.

I have not seen any one specific to Insteon.

If the total load is five or less amps. The Leviton has been used by many here and in the X10 forums. An on line search may find dealers with varied prices for the Leviton.

http://www.smarthome.com/4835/Leviton-6 ... ock/p.aspx

Since the setup was working for awhile. Maybe new CFLs will correct the problem. We did see a message here on CFLs getting noisier with age.

You can try another brand of CFL.

I suspect that the CFL issue is just one of several problems you have. Try a scene test on some of your scenes and see if they pass (I bet some will fail). I suspect you have other devices throughout the house that are contributing to this problem.

I would start by putting all your computer stuff (except ISY) on a filter. I would put your home theater on one, as well, including the monster power supply.

Thanks Guys For all your posts! You Guys are the best. I can’t believe I did not discover this forum earlier. You all have been a very big help and it is greatly appreciated.

I guess we are all the same on here, because yes, I have all the gadgets at home, 4 computers, home theatre and multiple TV’s and cable boxes. I guess all those devices are starting to have a cumulative effect. I just purchased an in line whole circuit noise filter for a 20 amp line:

http://www.smarthome.com/4846/ACT-AF300 ... ter/p.aspx

Once I install it I will update you guys.

I also purchase a couple plug in noise filters for my desktop(s) and main home theatre circuits. My receiver and power conditioner must be adding considerable noise.

Thanks Again!

Archived