Insteon Keyfob remote? - Use of 2421 triggerlinc?

ELA

Is there a keyfob sized Insteon remote available?

I have one of the larger 6 button remotes but this is too large for use in the car or purse.

In my old X-10 system I had several of those small keyfob remotes and wonder if there is something like this for Insteon?

I was thinking of using a 2421 triggerlinc by modifying it with a switch to the external input - rather than using the magnet. This a little large but better than the 6 button unit.

Has anyone done this?

I have not seen any smaller Insteon Remotes.

The external switch on the external switch connector should work.

I guess you could also use one of your old X10 keyfobs and transceiver. Then use the X10 power line signal to trigger a scene in your ISY setup.

I still use my X10 HR12A palm pad with my system. Though in my case the modules I want to control have an added X10 Primary Address in them.

I think I will see how a 2421 works.

I swore off anything X10 when I upgraded to Insteon. I did not want to mix the powerline signals in the system.

In addition I had bad luck with the powerlinc/serial module that interfaced the power line to my transceiver. They kept blowing out.

I am hoping the Powerlinc for the ISY99 is better designed.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2421 and tested it as a single function remote and it works great!

Of course it is a little bulky and I need to integrate an external switch into it but the range is very good.

I temporarily added an external push-on, push-off switch. I am going to find smaller one that I can integrate directly into the cover.

I tested the range and I was turning on lights in my house from across the street ( >100ft).

It also works well from inside of the car while in the driveway.

May not be for everybody but I am happy to have ability for my wife to be able to turn on the lights from her car. We already have PIR detectors but she likes the lights on prior to her approach :shock:

Archived