Trigger on Bright/Dim

Algorithm

I don't know if this is correct... but while watching the indicator lights on the PLM and the Access Point, it looks like one command is sent when the dim or bright button is first pushed, and one more is sent when it is let go--like a "start dim" and a "stop dim" command....

does anybody know if I am right?

I have also tried this, But it looks like the SW does not send bright/dim comands. It does however send its level after the paddle is released.

Which software are you referring to? You mean in the ControLinc? I was looking in the Java console (with DBG 2) and think that what I saw confirms this. I didn't see specific Bright/Dim commands listed, but did see what appeared to be a number which could be the level, after the button was released.

However, using the ControLinc, I found that if I pressed and held the Bright or Dim button, then released it, all was as above. But, if I quickly pressed and released Bright or Dim (the same way one would do with one of the numbered buttons), then there appeared to be a level change of about 3% (in the ISY console), but after which further Bright or Dim button presses (even if held) would have no further effect until the On or Off button was pushed. :?

I don't know if this is correct... but while watching the indicator lights on the PLM and the Access Point, it looks like one command is sent when the dim or bright button is first pushed, and one more is sent when it is let go--like a "start dim" and a "stop dim" command....

does anybody know if I am right?

Bill, yes you are correct. The commands are Start Manual Change and Stop Manual Change. The start command contains a byte which indicates the direction of change.

These commands could be put to good use as triggers. However, they don't appear to show up in the Java console; I'm not sure why.

Michel/Chris, could Bright and Dim (as ControLinc buttons or as paddle holds) be made to work as triggers in the next version?

It would be great if the All On and All Off buttons could also be made to work as triggers, but I seem to recall reading that those ones aren't possible; is that correct?

Is there any way to trigger on a Bright or Dim command, such as when pushing the Bright/Dim buttons of a ControLinc, or when holding/releasing a SwitchLinc paddle?

I can confirm that this is possible with the beta ISY-99i/IR PRO. The control commands are FADE UP and FADE DOWN.

Is there any way to trigger on a Bright or Dim command, such as when pushing the Bright/Dim buttons of a ControLinc, or when holding/releasing a SwitchLinc paddle?

I can confirm that this is possible with the beta ISY-99i/IR PRO. The control commands are FADE UP and FADE DOWN.

Wow, that's super good news. I hope these will also be available in the next release for ISY-26.

• 3 months later...

Can you confirm now that the ISY99/ir is out how one would control the Dim/Bright buttons? I am now trying to setup my ISY99 using the beta 2.6.3 firmware and the dim/bright do just that - right now the dim/bright function is not working. When using the fade/up command the lights from off level go to full on 100% softly and then fade down does from whatever is the on level to off. I cant seem to get any programs to work properly with dim/bright using the Hold command. I can press a ton of times to get it to work but thats is a pain. I would like it to act like an X-10 command - where you can select a light or whatever then hit one button for on, one for off, press and hold one for bright and same for dim. I am using a pronto TSU9600 remote and want to be able to control individual lights if I want. I also have one TSU9400 in my master bedroom and like to be able to control the brightness when watching TV or what not.

Maybe if you can give me a sample code? For example what I have is a Scene called "HTR - All" with a program of On then a separate on for Off - when I leave the room I would like to hit a button on my remote called "HTR - All Off" (I know how to setup the IR stuff) - when I hit the All off button it would be nice for all the lights in that scene to dim maybe 25% or twice 15% then 15% so that you can see the command has been received, then have time to leave the room without it going dark on you.

Right now this is what I have but its not working (I also tried Fade Down too without it working properly - see above comments)

If

IR 'TV : 2' is Pressed

Then

Set Scene 'HTR - ALL' dim

Set Scene 'HTR - ALL' dim

Wait 1 minute

Set Scene 'HTR - ALL' off

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

For two button operation, you can use these programs to dim/brighten, and to toggle the lights on/off:

Program: Fade Up all lights

If
       IR 'TV : Channel +' is Held
   And IR 'TV : Channel +' is not Released

Then
       Set Scene 'My Lighting' Fade Up

Else
       Set Scene 'My Lighting' Fade Stop

Program: Fade Down all lights

If
       IR 'TV : Channel -' is Held
   And IR 'TV : Channel -' is not Released

Then
       Set Scene 'My Lighting' Fade Down

Else

Program: Toggle all lights on/off

If
       IR 'TV : Channel +' is Pressed
   And IR 'TV : Channel -' is not Pressed

Then
       Set Scene 'My Lighting' On

Else
       Set Scene 'My Lighting' Off

For two button operation, you can use these programs to dim/brighten, and to toggle the lights on/off:

Program: Fade Up all lights

If
       IR 'TV : Channel +' is Held
   And IR 'TV : Channel +' is not Released

Then

Else

Program: Fade Down all lights

If
       IR 'TV : Channel -' is Held
   And IR 'TV : Channel -' is not Released

Then

Else

Program: Toggle all lights on/off

If
       IR 'TV : Channel +' is Pressed
   And IR 'TV : Channel -' is not Pressed

Then

Else

Sorry I was not clear I want to do 4 buttons like you would use a IR543 and X10. I want one to turn the light off(press) - one for on(press) - one for dim(press&hold) - one for bright(press&hold) - is the key to using the Fade up/down the fade stops? I want on/off buttons to just be a press - then hold the bright button to brighten the lamps and press and hold a dim button to dim the lamp.

Sorry I was not clear I want to do 4 buttons like you would use a IR543 and X10. I want one to turn the light off(press) - one for on(press) - one for dim(press&hold) - one for bright(press&hold) - is the key to using the Fade up/down the fade stops? I want on/off buttons to just be a press - then hold the bright button to brighten the lamps and press and hold a dim button to dim the lamp.

Yes, using Fade Stop is required, and is the key for doing brighten/dim.

Note that in our programs, Held means Press&Hold

Here are the programs, using four IR Buttons named 'Brighten','Dim','Light On','Light Off'

Program: Brighten all lights

If
       IR 'Brighten' is Held
   And IR 'Brighten' is not Released

Then

Else

Program: Dim all lights

If
       IR 'Dim' is Held
   And IR 'Dim' is not Released

Then

Else

Program: Turn Lights On or Off

If
       IR 'Light On' is Pressed
   And IR 'Light Off' is not Pressed

Then

Else

Thanks that worked - now I have a separate button for off/on/dim and bright.

How would I go about making the program to when I hit the All off button all the lights in that scene to dim maybe 25% or twice 15% then 15% so that you can see the command has been received, then have time to leave the room without it going dark on you?

How would I go about making the program to when I hit the All off button all the lights in that scene to dim maybe 25% or twice 15% then 15% so that you can see the command has been received, then have time to leave the room without it going dark on you?

You can experiment a bit, either using multiple Dim actions, or Fade Down/Fade Stop. Here's a couple of examples that do roughly the same thing:

If
       IR 'All Off' is Pressed

Then
       Set Scene 'My Lighting' Dim
       Wait  15 seconds

Else

If
       Control '08.55.40.1' is switched Off

Then
       Wait  2 seconds
       Wait  15 seconds

Else

Archived