On Level?

Kentinada

When I look at a specific device defined through the admin console, I see 3 components:

1. Current State

2. On Level (Applied Locally)

3. Ramp Rate (Applied Locally)

What is the On Level used for? In my scene definition, I see Current State and Ramp Rate only.

Kentinada

The On Level (Applied Locally) and Ramp Rate (Applied Locally) relate to what the device does when turned On locally with a button/paddle press. Ex, how a SwitchLinc responds when the SwitchLinc paddle is pressed On.

For each Controller of a Scene, the Responders have an On Level and Ramp Rate the Responder will react with when that Controller activates the Scene. Clicking on the Scene name shows the Responder values when the Scene is turned On with a Program or through the Admin Console. Clicking on each additional Controller of a Scene (entry below Scene name in Red), the Responder values (On Level and Ramp Rate) are those the Responders will react with when that Controller turns the Scene On.

This is all standard Insteon stuff. The ISY makes it easy to define but the Insteon Responder hardware is actually using the various On Level and Ramp Rate values based on which Controller turned the Responder On. The Responder On Level and Ramp Rate are stored in link records in the Responder link database stored in the respective Responder memory.

Lee

LeeG, you have provided a wealth of information to me today. Thank you! I have been doing X10 for years but am only recently moving on to INSTEON. There is an incredible amount of flexibility between the devices, various controllers, and the ISY itself. There is a learning curve here but with help like yours, it will be much shorter. Again, many thanks.

Kentinada

Happy to help. You will find all the users on the ISY forum of great help, ready to provide information and suggestions. The UDI personnel provide the best ISY support in the business. The best group of folks I have had the pleasure of interacting with. Hope you find the ISY as much fun to work with as the rest of us have.

Lee

Archived