Venstar T-stat rf adaptor vs Insteon adaptor

Zellarman

I'm looking into finally integrating my main zone of HVAC into my HA system. While function is the key here, equally important to me is form. I HATE the look of pretty much every T-Stat there is. Presently my t-stat is mounted in a closet and I use a remote sensor (looks like a blank wall plate). I'm considering the venstar 1800 as modified by SH (I think, it has the internal insteon RF adapter) SH # 2491t7E (SH webpage says its the 1700, but have to verify its the 1800) Anyway the venstar has an optional indoor sensor, ACC 0400 (I have to check that it can be used as an alt remote sensor) but I was also thinking of using their wireless t-stat 1119RF as an alt sensor if possible (it would be better if I didn't have to limited to the one location that I would otherwise end up hardwiring to) And here comes my big question, the wireless t-stat uses a venstar adapter that plugs into their T-Stat, and this plug in module appears to be different from the Insteon module (especially considering that it's built into the particular insteon model I'm looking at) so will the venstar wireless t-stat (or sensor) work with the Insteon RF receiver? OR, if the RF receiver is built in to the T-stat I'm looking at, is the RJ-11 jack still available to plug in the necessary adaptor?

I believe the sales site has been updated. The 2491t7E is listed as a T1800.

The owners manual and quick guide are both avilable for download on the sales page.

The FCC ID number SBP4715 is the same as their Smartpro 4715 used by the professional installers.

OK the Internal Photos avilable on the FCC web site. Show the internal adapter wired to the pads normally used for the RJ connector.

There is no RJ connector in the FCC photos.

The Quick Guide is showing an LED in the cabinet cutout where the RJ connector would normally go.

Update. I looked at the Owners manual I got from the sales site. Page 3 says not compatible with any Venstar accessory that connects via the phone style connector on the bottom of Venstar products.

The Venstar can use its remote sensor as the controlling temperature reading, ignoring the t-stat's local internal temperature sensor. Or it can be set as read only. Manual page 14.3

As such this is my opinion:

Do not get the integrated t-stat. As you are mounting this in a closet get the ugly insteon adapter. You will not have to see its ugliness and it provides you with several features:

1. You can get the t-stats cheaper on eBay if you like.

2. Less integration means easier component repair if there is a failure. IE: if the adapter fails you just replace the adapter, not the whole t-stat and visa- verse.

3. If it is discovered that there is a flaw in the firmware it is easier to upgrade a dongle than a whole t-stat (although I am sure there could be no flaws in a shipping Smarthome product, especially the t-stat stuff. :wink: )

4. If you are trying to do some major Insteon work and you do not want a bunch of Insteon commands put on the line while you write scenes and links into devices it is easy to remove the ugly adapter and stop that. And there will be a bunch of Insteon traffic because of the t-stat. Every little change in temp, humidity, and state of the unit will create traffic.

5. A removable dongle makes for much eaiser troubleshooting. Should you ever have any kind of problem with your Insteon system, again, highly unlikely :wink: ,it makes it easy to exclude the RF t-stat from the equation.

Archived