Basic Help

foxglove

Where can I find some basic help getting started with ISY-99i / SmartLinc modem? My ~ five year old SmartLinc (same name but nothing like the modem) gave up the ghost. I purchased the ISY system because I was under the impression that it would do pretty much the same tasks and I have a number of X10 controllers including a driveway alarm which I use as a trigger. The system uses terms that I am not familiar with such as EZX10RF to load X10 devices.

I have made no progress after fooling with this for a week.

Thank you

foxglove

The EZX10RF is an Insteon device from Simplehomenet that receives X10 RF signals and converts them to Insteon powerline commands. Since the Smartlinc has no X10 RF capability you may have no need for the EZX10RF as the current configuration must already have a means for taking X10 RF signals and placing them as X10 messages on the powerline.

The ISY can trigger ISY Programs with X10 messages and send X10 messages as Program Actions.

A simple X10 triggered Program could look like the following ....

If

X10 'D3/On (3)' is Received

And X10 'D3/Off (11)' is not Received

And X10 'D3/All Units Off (13)' is not Received

Then

Wait 2 seconds

Set 'LampLinc-5' On

Else

Set 'LampLinc-5' Fast Off

A time based X10 Program might look like this ...

If

Time is 3:00:00PM

Then

Send X10 'A1/On (3)'

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

What do you want to implement?

Lee

Thank you. Is there an ISY Document for Dummies? In a week of puttering I have been able to set the day and date. I have not been able to enter an X10 device much less create a timer event. I have looked at the quick start and user guide and setup. When I attempted to enter a X10 it referred to the EZX10RF which I don't have.

What language was the code written in in your example?

I am comming to the conclusion that I am in over my head but i would like to get this thing to work.

foxglove

The ISY Programs are created through the Admin Console. Select the Program tab to enter the area where Programs are created and updated. The process of creating Programs is a matter of selecting options from pulldowns. No need to understand grammar or syntax. As mentioned earlier an X10 device cannot be added to the My Lighting tree without the optional A10/X10 Module which IS NOT NEEDED to create ISY Programs which are triggered by X10 events and issue X10 commands. Select the Send X10 Action to send X10 commands. For X10 events to trigger a Program select X10 in the Condition. Again, everything is done by selecting choices from a pulldown so no need to learn grammar or syntax.

The samples I posted are real life Programs in my ISY which I copied and posted.

Lee

I am comming to the conclusion that I am in over my head but i would like to get this thing to work.

IMO, if you have and plan to retain any significant amount of X10 units you should purchase the A10/X10 module. When I first purchased the ISY I went through a similar process to what it sounds like you are going through. I would read the manual and the wikis and the forums and then look at my ISY screen and go "huh?" because the simplicity of use I saw in all those manuals was not what I was seeing on my screen.

As soon as I added the X10 module so that the X10 units are handled the same way as the Insteon units, everything clicked in to place for me.

Archived