Outdoor/ Waterproof Insteon ControlLinc / RemoteLinc??

justin.cool

Hello all,

Would appreciate any ideas someone may have on accomplishing the following functions ........I can't help but think that some clever way exists to get this done, I just haven't figured it out!

Ideally I would like a "KPL like" device with the following characteristics:

- outdoor compatible / survivable - Ideally waterproof

- Permanently mountable in multiple locations near the pool and on the patio (Remote controls have tendency to walk off in kids hands).

- Programmed through my ISY-99 withOUT having to go put it in "Linking" mode like the RemoteLinc's.

- Should not be hardwired to or need 120VAC household wiring

- Safe, low voltage or batteries are OK, low voltage being preferred

Will be used to control the following devices that have various types of loads that have Insteon controllers already installed:

- Deck lights - switchlinc

- Pool water feature pump (230v normally open Insteon relay)

- Pool light - switchlinc

- Patio lights - switchlinc

- Ceiling fans - switchlinc

I have mulled around some indirect methods, like having in-Line linc's with sensing and then using cheap $15 wirelessly controlled (like the Lamson Home Products #HW2190 Heavy Duty Remote On/Off Control) outlets that are wired to the sensing line on a the inline linc. But these seems a bit contrived or round about to say the least. Also looked at an IR Linc with an outdoor waterproof remote.......probably the most straightforward, but again I prefer to have these things permanently mounted.

Any advice or ideas along these lines would be appreciated!

(NOTE: I posted this in the Smarthome forum as well, but have always gotten better responses here).

Lord, is this something needed IMO.

Universal Remote just announced a water-resistant version of the MX-900 RF universal remote. I've been watching but it isn't available on their site yet.

If you were to pair that with a URI base station -- assuming you have an IR-capable ISY -- then you should be good to go. If not, then there are things like the IR-Linc to do the IR-to-Insteon translation. Be sure to keep the base station several feet away from any RF-generating devices like WiFi access points - they will constantly jabber nonsense into the IR line which the ISY will see.

If you want to affix the remote permanently outside, you'll of course have to rig something on your own: a nice decorative chain comes to mind :-)

This will probably not end up being an inexpensive solution.

So another way, one I've used, is to get the 10-pack of X10 10-code keypads when they have one of their "sales" (ie anytime), and tape one up in a quart-size freezer bag. Or if you have a shrinkwrapper available to you, use that - just don't make it too tight that it squeezes down on the buttons.

The keypads usually last at least a year or so that way. And since they cost you about $3@, you don't much care when they die of internal condensation or sunstroke or battery leakage or whatever it is that kills them, or if they just 'walk away.' (Though his parents deny it, I'm convinced my grandson has a collection somewhere.)

BTW don't try this, as I did, with a RemoteLinc, they are more sensitive, and cost a whole lot more.

I have a EZX10RF which makes the X10 communication a little faster and more reliable. I'd recommend that. But the basic X10 signaling with the ISY usually works well enough if you have a phase bridge and don't have other big comm issues.

You do have to program the X10 codes into the EZX10, but once its setup, there's no linking with the X10 keypads themselves, so you can change them out easily. And you get 20 buttons to play with in programs. There is of course less security with X10, but I'm not sure either technology has a great deal to brag about there.

There are a variety of "spa side controls" made by companies like Pentair and Jandy. You can see some examples at:

Jandy: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... tm?A=+1351

Pentair: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/homepage ... mpid=CMPGB

On my Pentair iS4 button control there are 5 wires that come back to the control panel. If you connected these respectively to GND and inputs 1-4 of a SimpleHomeNet EZIO6i ($99), then you would have a very nice looking, weatherproof, and safe system. The downside is cost - the Pentair control is $150 alone. As an alternative, you could mount a few low voltage switches of your choice in an enclosure of your own design and add some sprinkler wire for a very low cost ($10-20) solution.

The EZIO would need to be plugged into an outlet in a weatherproof location. The cable supplied with the spa-side switch is typically 100-150' long, but can be extended using standard cabling (sprinkler wire will work). You will need to link the EZIO (once) with the ISY-99 and then write programs that sense the inputs:

If

status EZIO-Input1 is ON

then

set scene SPA-MoodLights ON

else

set scene SPA-MoodLights Off

Some good ideas to think about.......

I also spoke with Smarthome today, (after requisite 5 minutes on hold), and they informed me that in the next 60 days or so, they will have a pico sized (about 1" x 3", like a key fob) remote linc of sorts. RF, four buttons only, but otherwise just like a remote link. I would still need to somehow protect it, like mount it in a water resistant case, out of the sun and rain, like on a covered patio........

Not perfect, yet......but getting there, thanks!

Archived