Deleting Links

Teken

Yes. There must be something behind the question. What part are you questioning?

I am trying to understand if there is a part failure. Or that there is more things happening that may be affecting my install site. Taking a existing switch which was enrolled via the ISY, and selecting *delete all existing links* appears to enrolled the switch fine.

Upon using the HL2 to look at this device it shows *half links* which I question . . . :shock: Basically, I am trying to affirm that if I do the following that the device will be in fact empty and blank as if it came out of the box.

Having said all of this: Doing a factory reset I believe would accomplish this first ask. Using the ISY and simply *deleting* the same device from the ISY system should also accomplish this same task. While using *add new device* and selecting *delete all links* seems to leave links which another application (HL2) being able to trace and find said links.

I am trying to fully understand what half links are, and how they impact the system. While doing a lot of reading on the forum there has not been a definite answer in this Q.

Teken . . .

"I am trying to affirm that if I do the following that the device will be in fact empty and blank as if it came out of the box"

It will NOT be as it came out of the box, assuming it came with no residual links. The ISY does not go through all the link records and set them to 00 which is what they should have looked like coming out of the box. It only sets the first link record flag to 00 which logically erases all active link records but does not physically erase them.

Also the ISY device add process creates link records for ISY use which HL will have no knowledge of. They will look like broken links to HL.

Half links are either links in the Controller device without matching links in the Responder or links in the Responder without matching links in the Controller. Either case is considered a broken or half link.

"I am trying to affirm that if I do the following that the device will be in fact empty and blank as if it came out of the box"

It will NOT be as it came out of the box, assuming it came with no residual links. The ISY does not go through all the link records and set them to 00 which is what they should have looked like coming out of the box. It only sets the first link record flag to 00 which logically erases all active link records but does not physically erase them.

Also the ISY device add process creates link records for ISY use which HL will have no knowledge of. They will look like broken links to HL.

Half links are either links in the Controller device without matching links in the Responder or links in the Responder without matching links in the Controller. Either case is considered a broken or half link.

LeeG,

Thanks for the clarification . . . I will perform some more tests and reply in kind if there are more questions as they pertain to the half links.

Teken . . .

I doubt HL fails to stop when reading a 00 flag byte. Otherwise it would be reading 417 link records.

There are multiple conflicts trying to use ISY and HL together. If the device was known to HL before being added to the ISY with the "remove existing links" all the link records HL wrote when the device was added to HL will be erased and the ISY links written which HL does not know about. Now HL sees link records written by the ISY which do not match what HL has and the link records which HL wrote are missing making the link records in the HL PLM broken.

If the add is done in the opposite order. ISY first, HL second, the ISY will eventually wipe out some or all of the HL links because they are not known to the ISY.

I have run both products using some of my test bed devices and have seen just about every conflict that can arise and that was with a relatively small number of devices. The HL is a little better at handling what it sees as Set button links (actually written by the ISY) but there are issues that always surface no matter how careful one tries to be.

Add to ISY, establish all ISY Scenes that will ever be used, then add to HL and never touch the configuration again. That is just not realistic. Use HL for communications testing but anything beyond that as far as changing configuration will lead to failures.

I doubt HL fails to stop when reading a 00 flag byte. Otherwise it would be reading 417 link records.

There are multiple conflicts trying to use ISY and HL together. If the device was known to HL before being added to the ISY with the "remove existing links" all the link records HL wrote when the device was added to HL will be erased and the ISY links written which HL does not know about. Now HL sees link records written by the ISY which do not match what HL has and the link records which HL wrote are missing making the link records in the HL PLM broken.

If the add is done in the opposite order. ISY first, HL second, the ISY will eventually wipe out some or all of the HL links because they are not known to the ISY.

I have run both products using some of my test bed devices and have seen just about every conflict that can arise and that was with a relatively small number of devices. The HL is a little better at handling what it sees as Set button links (actually written by the ISY) but there are issues that always surface no matter how careful one tries to be.

Add to ISY, establish all ISY Scenes that will ever be used, then add to HL and never touch the configuration again. That is just not realistic. Use HL for communications testing but anything beyond that as far as changing configuration will lead to failures.

This is indeed what I have observed this evening . . . :evil:

Teken . . .

Archived