IOLinc & Low Voltage Probe (8015)

OmegaQuest

Are you reading the voltages with the probe connected to the I/OLinc?

It maybe using the +5 volts from the I/OLinc to power its internal electronics.

What do you measure with the probe connected conected to the jack. Using the terminal block of the I/OLinc for the meter?

Look at the Sensor to Ground voltage terminals. Should be close to +5 volts when not active and close to zero with the bell ringing.

My tests showed that the sensing voltage from the I/OLinc had to be pulled to below one volt for mine to trigger. About 800 Ohms from Sensor to Ground was where mine sent the command. I also have seen the Sensor LED glow dimly and the voltage was not pulled low enough to send the command.

I have a brand new I/OLInc and will be comparing it to my older ones revision 1.0. On the chance something has changed.

The new revision 1.8 acts almost the same as the old 1.0s.

The Probe is not connected to the IOLinc when I tested the voltage on the Jack end of the Probe.

On the Wire end of the Probe, a reading of 20v is applied when the Doorbell rings.

On the Jack end of the Probe a reading of 0.2v is read when the Doorbell rings.

I will check the Ground and Sensor screw terminals on the IOLinc (while the Probe is plugged into the Jack) and see what the voltage reads when the doorbell rings in a few and will report back.

Thanks Brian for asking that question. I thought the reading was with the probe in the jack.

The Sense line on the I/O Linc is not an analog input that is measuring an independent voltage. The Sense input is connected to the I/O Linc 5V source through an internal pullup resister. This keeps a positive potential on the Sense line and keeps the Sensor Off. The expectation is I/O Linc GND will be applied to Sense to turn the Sensor On.

For the Sensor not to be turning On the Sense line must not be at or near I/O Linc GND potential.

My tests showed that the sensing voltage from the I/OLinc had to be pulled to below one volt for mine to trigger. About 800 Ohms from Sensor to Ground was where mine sent the command. I also have seen the Sensor LED glow dimly and the voltage was not pulled low enough to send the command.

While monitoring a different IOLINC sensor post I had grounded my IOLINC input and measured 1.7ma. That implied an approx 3K pullup.

That along with your 800 ohms pull pull down also indicate an approx. 1.0VDC threshold.

I had been watching this post in hopes I might be able to offer something helpful.

Ouch ...

Who would have thought to ask if the meter was on AC or DC :shock:

Now you might go back and do the 18 volt battery test you mentioned in the beginning once again.

Does sound that way and the probe should protect itself from inadvertent polarity error.

Although this is very interesting from the technical side, adding more data points to what the I/O Linc Sense needs to turn On, I'm afraid it is not getting any closer to a solution. For whatever reason the probe does not pull the Sense voltage to GND. The last series of measurements of S relative to GND show the probe cannot turn the I/O Linc Sensor On.

I think either of the two alternatives, the ELK board or an external AC relay, will provide what you are looking for. Brian has used the ELK board so that is a tried and working solution.

I did a rough sketch of the I/OLincs sensor input.

The Green LED and a few resistors is all part of it.

1.7 ma sounds about correct and mine all toggled at around 1.0 volts or less from Sen to Gnd.

Yes the LED can glow and if Sen isn't below 1.0 volts. It does not trigger.

I have a 8015 coming and will see what I can find out.

I downloaded the 8015 manual from Smarthome.

As a test you may want to try a DC source on the input wires. Manual says White is positive with DC.

My gut says the AC input maybe causing the 8015 to pulse On and Off not triggering the I/OLinc.

Can't do any definitive tests until my 8015 arrives.

Archived