keypad not linking

anthon710

Hi, i cannot get my isy-99i ir/pro to link to a

KeypadLinc Dimmer - INSTEON 6-Button Scene Control Keypad with Dimmer, White

Item# 2486DWH6

I've tried everything and already factory reset it but it will not link. It was working fine for like 6 months on the system and then just stopped talking to the isy.

I would definitely appreciate any help!

Tom

Barring device failure, I tend to think of communication problems when problems such as you describe manifest themselves. The obvious questions:

a. has anything changed recently with regards to your electrical system or attached devices? Any new TVs, computers, peripherals, appliances, fancy (or decaying) light bulbs or fixtures, etc...?

b. do you have dual-band devices on both legs of your electrical system?

c. have you moved any of your insteon devices to different outlets?

d. do you have your PLM plugged into an outlet with lots of other stuff or into a surge suppressor or UPS?

A simple test would be to get an extension cord and plug the PLM into an outlet on the same circuit as the keypadlinc and see if this helps.

oddly enough, the only thing that changed in my electrical system was a fish tank and a few other items were removed. nothing new was added. I do live in a condo complex so I can't speak to anything my neighbors might have added but my guess is nothing has changed there. currently the plm is on the same circuit as the switch too and all my insteon devices are directly plugged into the outlets. the only think i can think of is i may have moved a dual link lamp module but i can't remember. the plm has not moved at all but it is plugged directly into a wall outlet that is running some of the server equip for my system here but that is all behind a ups.

thanks for the quick response

currently the plm is on the same circuit as the switch too and all my insteon devices are directly plugged into the outlets. the only think i can think of is i may have moved a dual link lamp module but i can't remember.

If PLM is on same circuit as the switch, then I would expect location of dual-band lamp modules to be less important in this particular case. Regardless, I would check to ensure these are on opposite legs of your electrical system (assuming your particular condo unit has more than one leg, or phase).

I do live in a condo complex

This increases likelihood (in my mind) of interference from other electronic devices.

the plm has not moved at all but it is plugged directly into a wall outlet that is running some of the server equip for my system here but that is all behind a ups.

This is the statement that jump out at me. It is my understanding that UPS are common causes of communication problems with insteon. If this is not filtered, I suggest doing so. The extension cord test suggested earlier (except putting it on another circuit) may confirm this as a possibility.

Archived