Insteon scene out of control

RBC

I have a scene that controls four lighting loads. The scene is turned on or off with a keypad button or a Remotelinc. The scene has been working just fine for several months. Normally when shutting off the lights, I press the C button on the KPL and the lights simply dim slowly (as programmed) and shut off. Last night when I went to turn off the lighting by pressing the C button on the keypad, I bumped the keypad button twice by accident. This time all of the lights began to dim but then went into a sequence where they would brighten and then dim, brighten and then dim. The keypad button flashed quickly. This went on continuously. I tried pressing, holding, tapping---every button for every load with no luck---the lights kept cycling on and off. I finally went to the computer, started the ISY program and watched the display showing the lights cycling on and off. The ON-OFF, Fast ON-Off buttons did nothing. Finally I selected the scene and did a Query. This ended up with a warning that one of the load switchlinks was not responding but did end up killing the cycling lights.

Everything is normal again---the scene works correctly with the lighting loads following the programmed scene. I listed this problem under "communications" as I don't know what else to think. This exact same problem has happened once before when a friend stopped by and used the Remotelinc to turn on the lights. I used the same fix to stop the cycling and blamed the problem on the friend and the Remotelinc. Any thoughts on where to look for the problem?

RBC

If no ISY Programs are involved with the operation of the Scene responders the place to look is the device physically driving the load control devices. With the Admin Console showing changes in state the device must be sending messages reflecting these changes. You can run the Event Viewer if it happens again to see the actual Insteon traffic reaching the ISY PLM. It sounds like the KeypadLinc is sending repetitive commands after being "bumped" with 4 SwitchLincs doing the same thing but that would not explain the same sequence occurring from a RemoteLinc button press.

If it happens again I would get a trace from the Event Viewer with Level 3 selected so the actual message flow is traced. Then perhaps pulling the air gap on the KeypadLinc if that is the driving device. Or the Query to see if that stops it again.

Archived