2420M Motion Sensor Questions

bfish

Hello All,

After about 90 minutes of reviewing forum posts and playing with my first motion sensor, I am more than a little confused and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Several challenges:

1. When I jumper #5 I am supposed to be able to control options with ISY. I am able to get into the options screen via ISY when the Motion Sensor is in programming mode, but the changes I make never stick. Near the PLM or near a dual-band switch doesn't seem to matter.

2. I have since jumpered #4 for "on only" as that is the behavior I want (and un-jumpered #5). I have added the motion sensor to a scene which controls an applicancelinc (for a desk light) and a RemoteLinc which is my "wall switch" for this lamp. The behavior I am trying to create is that the motion sensor turns on the light when I enter the office, and I will turn it off manually with the remotelinc switch when I leave the office. Seems as if I turn the scene off with ISY then motion sensor will turn it back on, but only after some period of time. I have the dial turned down to what is supposed to be 30 seconds between on and off, but it requires a longer wait than that, sometimes not turning back on for a few minutes, even when the LED indicates motion is sensed. Should it really require any wait in on only mode?

Any help greatly appreciated. I can usually figure this stuff out, but today i am rather frustrated.

Thanks,

Bfish

bfish

Is this a new Motion Sensor (just purchased)?

What ISY firmware are you running?

Sounds like the Motion Sensor requires ISY 3.2.x for the I2CS support. The last Motion Sensor I purchased from Smarthome a few weeks ago is I2CS which requires the 3.2.x beta. 3.2.2 is the latest beta. If you run Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer with Level 3-Device communications events selected and try updating the Motion Sensor options I can tell if it is an I2CS device. The reads work okay before 3.2.x but the write of the configuration data requires 3.2.x if this is an I2CS device. Remember to put Jumper 5 back and put the MS into linking mode.

As far as On Only mode, it still honors the timeout value before it will send another Motion On message. On Only simply stops the Off command. To eliminate the timeout wait select Occupancy Mode.

Lee,

It is brand new, as of about a week ago.

I'm not sure how to paste the event viewer results, but your diagnosis sounds plausible. I do see things like:

Using Engine version i2 for 'Motion Detector-Sensor'

Writing 0 bytes to device

INST-SRX - Process Message: Ignored

I will try to upgrade later and see if that works.

Thanks,

Bfish

It is an I2CS device. I've been running 3.2.2 since it came out Friday and it is stable. The Motion Sensor will have to be Deleted and added back to the ISY under 3.2.2.

To post an event trace, save the file (it is a .txt file). Use Wordpad or something similar to edit the trace file. Copy the few lines associated with the MS update and Paste in the post. Being able to read the Motion Sensor but not write to it is one of the ways I2CS shows up.

Archived