• Controllincs (2)

• ISY-99i

• Access Points (4)

• Dualband LampLinc dimmers (4)

• Dual Band 240V load controller (2)

• Signal Linc (2)

• Venstar Thermostats (3) with V2 RF interface

• EZRain/EZFlora Irrigation Controller v.92

• House is about 4000 sq feet, two floors, but still pretty spread out.

• One main power panel, 400A service. With three subpanels with breakers.

• Third subpanel is only for the pool and washer dryer. Both main panels each have a signal linc installed.

• All power strips are either filtered via X-10 Pro 20 A in line or 15A plug in filters, or do NOT have any surge suppression or noise filtering. No UPS in the system.

• Numerous other devices are filtered via one of the above or a simple X-10 5A plug in filter or a leviton in line 5A filter.

Second: The problem

Could not communicate with the EZ-Flora. I have a Controlinc plugged into the same outlet as the EZ-flora, and it turns on several sprinkler sequences my wife uses regularly. Sometime in the not too distant past it quit working. I could not turn on any sprinklers from the Controlinc or the ISY-99.

The small LED on Controlinc was flashing when commands were sent, as expected, but the LED on the EZ-Flora was NOT flashing. At that point I didn't recall whether it was supposed to flash or not. I unplugged both the Controlinc and the EZ-Flora and still the same conditions. Then after a minute or two the light began flashing on the EZ-Flora and it began working as it had when I installed it. Both from the ISY-99 and the Controlinc.

Is this an occasional problem I am going to have to deal with? Is there something I should look into that may have caused this? At one point I plugged the Controlinc directly into the feed through outlet on the EZ-Flora and the LED still did not flash on the EZ-Flora.

I worry that on my next two week trip out of town it quits and my wife goes nuts because it isn't working. Just more ammo for her to ask "Why did you get all this Home Automation @!#$@!#%#?"

I take it this is the first time communication with the EZFlora has been a problem. No way to tell if this was transient or a sign of pending EZFlora failure. With it resolved by unplugging the EZFlora that would likely be the solution if it happens again. There are two choices, wait to see if it happens again or replace the EZFlora. I would not replace any Insteon device on a single event. Particularly when it is has happened once and is resolved by a power cycle.

LeeG,

Thanks for the quick response. The part that is a little disturbing is that it was at least 3, if not 5 minutes AFTER the power cycle before things cleared. I would have expected a more immediate response. In fact, I did a few other things, that I don't exactly recall the order of, after the power cycle, because I did NOT see the improvement. I will definetly be more prepared next time.

Archived