New ISY 99i Pro - problems

marvel

Hi folks,

I just bought my first few Insteon devices and an ISY 99i Pro with dual band PowerLinc Modem #2413S. Unfortunately, things are not working. I can login to the admin console, but when I click the Start Linking button, I get strange behavior. Most of the time nothing happens. Sometimes it says "Error: Discovering Nodes; Retry!". Once a progress bar came up, but never finished - it would get to 100% and then start right back at 0%. I let it run for a good half hour before giving up. The "Linking In Progress" dialog box shown on the quick setup guide that came with it never actually comes up. A couple of times the unit beeped, so it seems to be doing something, but there is no feedback as to what.

Firmware version is 3.1.17. It's plugged into the PowerLinc Modem via cat-5 cable on Port A. The only Insteon device I have hooked up is a single dual band lamp module in the next room over. I have six dual band dimmers that I'll wire up next week. My workstation is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP-1 and is up to date on all Microsoft patches.

I am new to Insteon, but not to home automation. I have experience installing & programming AMX Netlinx equipment and had an extensive X-10 installation run by a JDS Timecommander controller over 10 years ago.

Thank you for any help or advice you can provide.

When Start Linking is clicked a modal popup window should appear. This window has a Finish button as the only functional button and being a modal popup will block access to any other ISY function. This popup is not displaying which allows access to other ISY functions which result in the "discovering nodes" message. Once in that situation the ISY and PLM must be power cycled to clear the situation.

The underlying problem is generally an AV issue that is preventing the ISY from pushing data out to the Admin Console. Temporarily shut down AV and firewalls. This should allow the Start Linking popup to display. Avast and Kaspersky are two common sources of problems. See the following link …

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2049&p=63154&hilit=Avast#p63154

Archived