Programming FanLinc

steelman58

I've finally installed my fan and corrected problems with the FanLinc and KeypadLinc wiring and linking problems. Now I am trying to set up the fan to be controlled by the KPL. I've created scenes in My Lighting for the Fan Light, Fan Off, Fan Low, Fan Med and Fan High. I've added the Fan Motor to the various fan speed scenes as well as the appropriate KPL button

34h6w40.png

I've set the fan speed for each scene as well.

2ebqq1k.png

I've created a program for each fan speed which ensures that pressing a KPL button will turn off a previously set KPL button (so two buttons are not on at the same time). I have also included in the "Then" statement that the scene is adjusted and the fan motor is set to a certain speed.

x0ur09.png

Having done all of that, I am still not able to control the fan speeds. From the Admin Console, if I select a Fan Speed scene and twice click on the "On" button the fan will usually start. Pressing once causes the fan blades to spin very slowly a couple of times before stopping. When it starts, it sounds like something is going to happen, then nothing. Selecting the Fan Motor in My Lighting and adjusting the slilder to Low, Med or High works so I know the fan is operational.

Pressing any of the speed buttons on the KPL doesn't work except for buttons being mutually exclusive with respect to a button LED turning off when another is turned on.

I've spent the last almost 3-1/2 hours trying to figure where I have messed up and I can't put my finger on it. I thought the solution to the issue was the "Adjust Scene" action statement in the program, but that hasn't appeared to help (or so it seems). I've searched on the forum for posts with the proper FanLinc/KPL setup, but they only illustrate configurations which use a KPL with v.40 firmware whereas my KPL is v.36 which requires programing to resolve the issue (according to the posts). Has anyone encountered the same issues with similar equipment?

Regarding the Fan speed, it sounds like the pull chain is not set for the fastest speed. The FanLinc Fan control assumes the fan is set to run at its maximum speed with the FanLinc reducing the speed. If the Fan speed pull chain is set lower than maximum the Fan may not get enough power to actually turn the fan motor.

EDIT: missed this the first time. When the other Scenes are turned Off you are turning the FanLinc Fan Off. The Responder Fan On Level slider applies only when the Scene is turned On. When the Scene is turned Off the Fan is turned Off.

If you are using a single KeypadLinc and will limit fan control to a single KeypadLinc in the future there is an easier method.

SceneFanOff

KeypadLinc A – Controller (I made the A button Off – could use any of the Secondary buttons)

KeypadLinc B – Responder (On Level slider set to 0%)

KeypadLinc C – Responder ( On Level slider set to 0%)

KeypadLinc D – Responder (On Level slider set to 0%)

FanLinc Fan – On Level = Off

SceneFanLow

KeypadLinc B – Controller (I made the B button Low – could use any of the Secondary buttons)

KeypadLinc A – Responder (On Level slider set to 0%)

KeypadLinc C – Responder ( On Level slider set to 0%)

FanLinc Fan – On Level = Low

SceneFanMed

KeypadLinc C – Controller (I made the C button Med – could use any of the Secondary buttons)

KeypadLinc B – Responder ( On Level slider set to 0%)

FanLinc Fan – On Level = Med

SceneFanHigh

KeypadLinc D – Controller (I made the D button Low – could use any of the Secondary buttons)

KeypadLinc B – Responder ( On Level slider set to 0%)

KeypadLinc C – Responder (On Leveol slider set to 0%)

FanLinc Fan – On Level = High

No ISY Programs or special Scenes for button LED control are needed

If multiple KeypadLincs are/will be used then ISY Programs and Scenes are needed. The Scenes used for button LED control do not have the FanLinc Fan as a Responder to prevent the Fan from being turned Off.

post-973-140474156009_thumb.jpg

LeeG,

My plan was to use a single KeypadLinc which will, as you pointed out, limit fan control to a single KeypadLinc. I applied your posted solution to my problem and it worked without a hitch! Thank you again for your generous assistance. :D

• 11 months later...

I wanted to chime in here and thank everyone for sharing how to set up a v.40 and above KPL to integrate with the Fanlinc.

I have been putting this off for quite sometime and just got around to doing this. The picture from LeeG helped out tremendously to understand what needed to be done. Incidentally, my helper did not notice that the Controller node was the one being modified to turn off the secondary responder buttons.

This caused a few moments of head scratching and :shock:

I then reviewed the link from LeeG, and it was clear the modifications were done to the Controller, and not to the Scene Pallet. :mrgreen:

Now, all I got to do is install 6 fans, fanlinks, and 10 KPL's. :cry:

Teken . . .

Archived