X10 filters as good as FilterLinc

Goose66

I need to add some (more) filters to my setup. While the 10A FilterLinc is cheap and plentiful, I need one for my stereo rack and one for my microwave, and I am think both (definitely the microwave) need to be 15A or better. Will a 15A X10 filter be just as effective as a 10A FilterLinc in stopping absorption of signals?

Also, while I have removed as many CFLs from my house as possible (at great expense, mind you), I still have some fluorescent fixtures that can't be effectively replaced (under counter lights, closet fixtures, garage fixtures, shop fixtures. The under counter lights remain on all night in my house, and the others are on motion detectors. Until Smarthome puts a FilterLinc into a relay SwitchLinc (which I think is a great idea for a product), I was thinking of using the Leviton 6287 Noise Block (http://www.smarthome.com/4835/Leviton-6 ... ock/p.aspx) for those because they could be installed inside the j-boxes with the switch. Has anyone used this device to try to stop interference with Insteon signals?

While I am typing questions, whatever became of the Insteon troubleshooting device for the consumer who doesn't own (or want, or can't spell) an oscilloscope?

Thanks!

Actually the FilterLinc originated as an X10 filter.

The sales pages say it is tuned to 120KHz which is the X10 power line signal frequency.

I don't think Smarthome has changed the components to move it closer to the 131.65KHz Insteon uses.

The ACT AF120 is a 15 amp X10 type filter. I have not seen anything on its not also working with Insteon.

I currently use the AF120 to isolate my computer, printers ... etc from the network and it works as well as a Filterlinc.

As Brian noted the Filterlinc is tuned to 120Khz and not 131Khz.

Early on in my investigations into Insteon I modified a Filterlinc using using the correct capacitor values for 131.65Khz forming a "SuperFilterlinc"

That provided about a 2X improvement over the standard Filterlinc. I only use that device for test purposes after modifying it.

For the cost it would have been nice for them to have went the extra step to tune the Filterlinc to Insteon Frequencies.

Archived