Mixture of X10 and Insteon Devices

dtrose

I am using ISY99i, v.3.2.6, w/A10/X10 module and have a mixture of X10 units and insteon devices.

At certain times without provocation the x10 controlled devices turn on. I can't figure out what might be causing it. None of the Insteon devices are affected. Any clues as to what I might try?

I am at a point where I am considering eliminating the X10 devices and go all the way with either 2856D2B or 2456D3 devices - the 2856D2B being the cheaper, but never tried - what recommendation can you offer?

Dick Rose

I use to have a combination od X10 and Insteon but have since eliminated all of my X10 Switches. I held out and was till using the X10 motion detectors and I have decided that I will only use the Insteon Motion Sensors. I have had good reliability with the Insteon Motion sensors.

Clarence

Did your power company recently put a Smart Meter on your home?

One particular model seems to be reported in the X10 forums as randomly turning X10 devices On and Off.

I am running a few X10 devices in my setup myself. Like Chime Modules and the sixteen button HR12A Palm Pad Remotes.

My Insteon modules also have a Primary X10 Address added to them.

I have the new Smart Meter, but my X10 devices are pretty much non-existent. I still have a few appliance modules and I do have a chime module but I haven't used that for a while.

If you are a California resident you have the option of Opting Out with the utility from the Smart Meter, if these are a problem to you.

This Opting Out option is not known by the public, in general. It seems that a lot of people are concerned about excessive radio waves caused by the additional metering device (not that I believe or agree). It is an argument that was forwarded to the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC).

Clarence

The ones making problems. Used the power lines to communicate back to the power company.

If memory serves me it was like a 40 volt signal on the power lines.

Other X10 users with Smart Meters using RF communications have not reported any problems yet.

Archived