INSTEON Extended Command Message and User Data fields.

radartech

Hello,

I have been looking at jumping into an INSTEON control project..

My background is component electronics and computer network architecture.

Basically from the transistor beta theory all the way up to 555 Timer logic and onto industrial PLCs with network control.....

so this seems easy enough right? :-)

My idea is to design my device to interface with a Serial PLM and then use that to send status messages to an ISY994i

the status messages would be contained in the user data block outlined in the extended command messages in the developers guide..

Getting the messages formated and sent to the controller is the easy part.. Or so I think right now.

BUT I have yet to find anyone that can tell me if those INSTEON user data bytes (there are 14 bytes) are usable as variables in the ISY macro logic.

I can build a detector to Serial output logic controller fairly easy and have the logic controller format the data packet such that it contains the 14 bits.

so basically I get 14 sensor inputs from 1 PLM... if I get a little bit fancier I have up 256 x 14 status messages from a single PLM.

of course that overwhelms a 994 PRO..

But that is not the point...

My logic would be something like this:

IF PLMA message is X and userdata1 = F and userdata2 = T and userdata3 = K exec macro outdoorlights_on

Now I know my command set is not right for the ISY... but you get the idea..

NOW is it possible for the ISY to access those USER DATA BYTES?

Thanks,

Jim

“BUT I have yet to find anyone that can tell me if those INSTEON user data bytes (there are 14 bytes) are usable as variables in the ISY macro logic.â€

No, not in a generalized way.

“NOW is it possible for the ISY to access those USER DATA BYTES?â€

The ISY has physical access to the data but has no understanding what to do with it. There is no general Insteon device type that allows a free form use of the 14 bytes.

An alternate approach would be the ISY REST IP interface. Over the LAN REST messages can be sent to the ISY to set Variable data. Currently Variable data is limited to Integers.

“BUT I have yet to find anyone that can tell me if those INSTEON user data bytes (there are 14 bytes) are usable as variables in the ISY macro logic.â€

No, not in a generalized way.

“NOW is it possible for the ISY to access those USER DATA BYTES?â€

The ISY has physical access to the data but has no understanding what to do with it. There is no general Insteon device type that allows a free form use of the 14 bytes.

An alternate approach would be the ISY REST IP interface. Over the LAN REST messages can be sent to the ISY to set Variable data. Currently Variable data is limited to Integers.

I am custom building the device.... So if ISY can access it I can macro script using it

Ill research the REST....

Thanks!

Archived