Virtual 3 Way Switches and Programs

hedgehogfrenzy

(The title for this post has been edited to reference a "3 Way" Switch from it's original title of "2 Way" Switch for easier searching in the forum. Still referred to as 2 Way Switch in the discussion below. So for all programming purposes in this article "2 Way" = "3 Way." Sorry for the confusion.)

Hi,

I've been playing with home automation for a long time, but am newer to Insteon and new to the ISY 99i. So far, Insteon has turned out to be really reliable, and very functional...the ISY only making things better.

That being said, after all the reading that I've done on the boards and the wiki have left me with a problem I can't solve yet...

I've got two SwitchLinc dimmers in a hallway, one on each end...both controlling the same load (Hallway Living and Hallway Master....the switch Master is connected directly to the load). I've been successful in setting up the virtual 2-Way switch (called "Hallway Dimmer Gang") by adding both to a scene as a controller. But, I'd like to adjust the brightness that they come on to varied on the time of day...which will eventually also be triggered by motion sensor.

I've tried a couple of different programing methods...one of which worked, but the light would come on at full strength....and then dime down to the right level.

After more reading, I think that this is the correct programming:

If

From Sunrise + 1 hour

To Sunset - 1 hour (same day)

Then

In Scene 'Hallway Scenes / Hallway Dimmer Gang' Set 'Hallway Living' 25% (On Level)

In Scene 'Hallway Scenes / Hallway Dimmer Gang' Set 'Hallway Master' 25% (On Level)

In Scene 'Hallway Scenes / Hallway Dimmer Gang' Set 'Hallway Master' 6.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene 'Hallway Scenes / Hallway Dimmer Gang' Set 'Hallway Living' 6.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

(KEY - Hallway Dimmer Gang is the virtual 2 way scene; Hallway Living is the slave; Hallway Master is connected to the load directly)

The problem I have with this program is that it successfully writes the on level and ramp rate to the master scene, but it doesn't actually effect the scene response when I hit the SwitchLinc paddles....unless I manually hit the "Copy Scene Attributes" for each dimmer in the control panel. Then it works great.

What am I missing here...do/Can I directly program the SwitchLincs to trigger the scene?

Please help me understand the logic here so I can get better with my ISY. Thanks, and looking forward to being a part of the community here.

- DT

The Master SwitchLinc (which has Red wire connected to load) has to have the Local On Level and Local Ramp Rate changed to affect what happens when the Master SwitchLinc paddle is used.

The Adjust Scene statement should specify the Master SwitchLinc node name in both the In Scene and Set parameters. With this combination the ISY knows to change the Local On Level and Local Ramp Rate.

The current Adjust Scene statements affect what happens when the Slave SwitchLinc paddle is used to turn On the Master SwitchLinc as a Responder and what happens if the ISY Scene name is used in a Program Set Scene statement or the ISY Scene is controlled through the Admin Console.

As a side note the Else clause can be used to adjust the various values at Sunset – 1 hour.

Guys, thanks for this post and reply. I was also wondering about this since I am new to ISY. The situation you describe is almost exactly the setup for my foyer chandeliers. I learned a little more today. :P

Archived