Door Bell question

RichTJ99

Hi,

I have a doorbell on the front door but for some reason there is not a door bell on the back door. I was trying to figure what I could use as a doorbell option. Do i just get a wireless doorbell? Getting a wire to the back door is probably more work than its worth.

Should I get a wireless doorbell for the back door? Is there something Insteon related I could do?

I am debating putting a triggerlinc between my door bell and my ISY setup but it might not be needed.

I currently have a driveway alarm and a triggerlinc wired into it, so not only do I hear an alarm, but I get emails. I dont know that I need another email for when the doorbell rings - but lets see what you guys can come up with!

Thanks,

Rich

I have wireless door bell buttons on front and rear doors. Contractor forgot to include conventional door bell 20 years ago. Have been using a simple wireless system from Lowes for nearly that long. One battery powered chime with buttons that have jumpers similar to those in the Motion Sensor. Different chime for front and rear door. No Insteon connection. Chime batteries are D cells which last for many years. Button batteries are outside so they are only good for a year or so. Actually have a chime module on the first floor as well as the basement level using the same buttons.

The advantage is obviously no wires to pull in outside walls where insulation might be disturbed. Down side is batteries in the buttons need replacing. I've gotten in the habit of replacing my Dakota Alert transmitter batteries and door bell button batteries around the start of winter. Insures batteries are fresh during the cold weather.

Personally I would prefer conventional door bell buttons to eliminate the batteries but the alternative of fishing wires in two outside walls two interior walls made the battery approach attractive and it has worked for a very long time.

Archived