Remaining links after "Remove Device"

belias

I had an IOLinc that was set up as a controller (for a status button) on 3 KPL's. Over the weekend I decided to remove this device, and used the "Remove Device" command. I didn't, however, remove it from the associated scenes before-hand.

Now, when I look at the "Device Links" for each of the KPL's the IOLinc's address is still there. So...a few questions:

1) In this case, if I choose to add the IOLinc back to the system at a later time, it would seem like this could cause a problem since the original links would still be present in the 3 KPLs. Is this correct?

2) If so, how come "remove device" doesn't also remove the associated links? It seems like this would be a more complete "removal" and would eliminate potential issues later on.

3) How can I remove these records from the 3 KPL's now?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

- Brian

The I/O Linc address being in the KPL link database does not in and of itself mean anything. The link records are likely marked inactive (start with 02, 22, 62) which means the KPL is not using them. Can you do a Show Device Links Table on the KPL and post the results.

Here is a sample of a link database that contains logically deleted link records. The three link records with 22 in the first byte (Flag byte) have an Insteon device address for a device that was removed from a Scene. Same thing happens when a device is Deleted. When the link record Flag byte is marked inactive (22) the device no longer looks at that link record when determining if it should respond. In this case 1B.57.F8 is a device that is still defined to the ISY.

Unlinking with a Set button (should not be done when using an ISY), removing a device from a Scene, Deleting a device from the ISY, changes the Flag byte only. It could take an additional 14 commands per link record to zero out the remaining 7 bytes for no functional benefit.

3 : 0FE0 : A2 21 0F.44.DC 80 1F 02

4 : 0FD8 : 22 06 1B.57.F8 FF 1F 02

5 : 0FD0 : A2 00 19.70.06 FF 1F 01

6 : 0FC8 : 22 04 1B.57.F8 FF 1F 02

7 : 0FC0 : A2 35 19.70.06 BF 1F 02

8 : 0FB8 : 22 05 1B.57.F8 FF 1F 02

9 : 0FB0 : A2 37 19.70.06 00 1F 02

LeeG,

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I always wondered why it was so much faster to remove a device from a scene than it was to add it, this makes sense now.

The KPL device link table shows:

0F68 : 62 03 1F.C2.B7 FF 1F 03

The '1F.C2.B7' device is the IOLinc that I removed from the ISY, and indeed the flag byte is set as inactive (62).

Thanks again.

- Brian

Thanks for posting back. The link records in my example were Responder link records. When the Active bit is reset the A2 Flag byte becomes 22. The link record in your last post was a Controller link record for KPL button 3 (either button C if 8 button, or button A if 6 button). When the Active bit is reset the E2 Flag byte becomes a 62. An Unlink with a Set button and some applications set the Flag byte to 02 to mark a link record inactive. Thus the possibility of 02, 22, or 62 for an inactive logically deleted link record.

Archived