Open/Close Sensor (TriggerLinc 2421) never updates -Closed?

kaybee335

I have a number of wireless Open/Close sensors (2843-222) linked in to my ISY. Each sensor shows up as two separate devices, one with the suffix "-Opened" and the other with the suffix "-Closed". The "-Opened" device updates appropriately based on the state of the sensor but the "-Closed" device never gets a state update (as far as my observations go, after linking you will not get a state update until there is a transition - I think this is because it is a battery powered device and it essentially sleeps until it has something to say).

What is the "-Closed" device supposed to be showing? I thought it might be showing the state of the external sensor terminals inside the sensor itself but if I jumper those terminals, the external contact closure state is added in parallel to the internal closure state as described in the docs for the sensor. Why something that is most likely going to be used in a security application would do that in parallel rather than series is completely beyond me - I want to know if either sensor is open not if either one is closed (but that is a rant for another time :-)

What is the device with the "-Closed" suffix supposed to be showing me?

Thanks,

Kris

The Open/Close Sensor has two operational modes. Refer to the Open/Close Sensor User Guide for the details. There is a single jumper on the Open/Close Sensor PC board that controls the mode. The Closed node is used only when the other operational mode is used which requires removing the jumper from the PC board.

The external switches can be wired in series or parallel. If NC switches are wired in series either switch being open will operate the TriggerLinc. With NO switches wired in parallel either switch will operate the TriggerLinc. Using the appropriate combination of NO or NC switches wired in series or parallel will provide whatever combination is needed.

Thanks Lee. I did not correlate the statement in the user manual saying with the jumper un-installed it triggers one of two scenes as resulting in two different devices appearing in the ISY.

As far as series/parallel - I probably wasn't clear on what I was trying to do. I thought I could use both the internal sensor mounted on a door and then run an external sensor line out to a nearby window. The external and internal sensor seem to be wired internally in parallel so, as long as the door remains closed, I will never see a change of state on the external sensor no matter what combination of series/parallel wiring or NO/NC switches I use. I probably don't care if the window is open when the door is wide open as well. What I want to know is if the window is open while the door is closed and it seems there is no way to get there from here. Or I could be all messed up in my understanding again ....

Thanks,

Kris

For each Scene a device operates there is an ISY node. An 8 button KeypadLinc operates 8 different Scenes, thus 8 nodes. The 6 button KeypadLinc operates 5 Scenes, thus 5 nodes. With the TriggerLinc jumper in place one Scene is used, with On and Off commands sent for that one Scene. When the jumper is removed two Scenes are used, with On only commands sent for each Scene.

Excerpts from the User Guide

External Sensor Terminals

When using an external sensor, TriggerLinc is in the closed state when either the external sensor terminals or the reed switch are closed. In other words, TriggerLinc opens when both the external sensor terminals and reed switch are open.

Connecting an External Sensor to TriggerLinc

NOTE: For the basic use of TriggerLinc’s external sensor terminals, it is not recommended to also use TriggerLinc’s internal reed switch to help ensure the desired behavior.

Using the Internal Reed Switch and External Sensors

When the TriggerLinc external sensors input is used in conjunction with its internal reed switch, TriggerLinc behaves much like several sensors connected in parallel (above), meaning:

TriggerLinc will be open when both the internal reed switch and external reed switch sensor terminals show open

TriggerLinc will be closed when either the internal reed switch or external sensor terminals show closed

It is not possible to use the internal reed switch in combination with an external switch to achieve the combination you are looking for. It can be done using external only switches.

The ISY/Insteon-fu is weak with this one :D Still getting my head wrapped around devices, scenes and programming the ISY (which is a subject unto itself - simple things are really simple, complex things on the ISY can sometimes be REALLY complex).

I had pretty much come to that conclusion about the Open/Close and had read that portion of the User Manual. That was why the earlier statement about this was more of a rant than a "how do I?".

Thanks again for the help,

Kris

Archived