Questions re programs and scenes

barrygordon

In programs If I just want to be able to run the program with no conditions can I do this? That is have a program with no if else conditions. How do I run this? i.e. do I run the Then Block?

In a scene is there any way to include another scene?

E.g. I have a scene for each room to turn all the lights off in that room. I want a Scene to turn all the lights off in the whole house. I tried a program but I can't seem to make the program run (See above)

"In programs If I just want to be able to run the program with no conditions can I do this? "

"That is have a program with no if else conditions. How do I run this? i.e. do I run the Then Block?"

Simple answer is YES but... When/under what conditions do you want the Program to run. The Program can be invoked from another Program, can be initiated with the Admin Console with the Run Then. Without an If section the Program cannot initiate itself.

"In a scene is there any way to include another scene?"

No. Insteon has no mechanism to imbed Scenes.

“E.g. I have a scene for each room to turn all the lights off in that room. I want a Scene to turn all the lights off in the whole house. I tried a program but I can't seem to make the program run (See above)â€

That is the question. What condition should make the Program run? You have to answer that question first. When do you want the Program to run? Once that question is answered then how to make it happen should be easy.

As usual you are very helpful.

Perhaps some background is in order:

I control my home with Homeseer. I have been a Homeseer user for about 11 years and my home automation is based upon it. The user interfaces are wall mounted iPads (5 of them, one in each main room of the house). I have just converted from X10 to Insteon and no longer have any X10 devices. I need to put them on eBay! There is an excellent interface between Homeseer and the ISY written by a Homeseer user. It is known as the ISY plugin. Using this plugin I am able to do exactly what I want. The plugin provides the mechanisms to run programs, scenes, command devices etc.

The iPads communicate both with Homeseer and with specific devices in addition to Homeseer for which there is a TCP/IP interface. Homeseer handles all devices with serial interfaces. I write the ISY driver for the iPad and am contemplating its general release. It provides the complete command interface a Scene interface and I am going to write the program interface this week. When the iPad app starts it queries the ISY for complete configuration and status. It then uses the Subscription capability of the ISY to keep in sync. It is working very well with a rich graphical interface for the user.

Most of the time the iPads issue commands directly to the ISY and the ISY plugin keeps Homeseer upto date with current state information. I also use Philips Pronto PRO hand held remotes for controlling all the A/V in the house. I like the hard buttons! The Pronto's will sometimes send a command to Homeseer to set the lighting, generally through a specific scene or a Program on the ISY. This was convenient as The Pronto's and the PC that controls the Theater never really knew about X10, just the names of lights to control or scripts to run to control scenes. This made the transition from X10 to Insteon relatively painless.

The next step will be to convert my Security system which is controlled by Homeseer. They have de-committed support for it (Napco Gemini) and I will probably go with an ELK unit

Sometimes I get lazy and just ask a question rather than doing the proper research, and for that I apologize. Right now I have no outstanding questions/issues with the ISY operation, but I am sure I will eventually. I don't remember if the ISY SDK covers the running of programs through the REST protocol, but I will look.

Archived