measure time on

eduardo_garcia

Guys

Is it possible to measure the how much time a certain insteon switch is on on a period of time using isy? I´m looking for ways to measure my power consumption, and I need to know which lamps are more used on a daily basis.

regards

Eduardo

I'm thinking you could do this with a variable and a program. ie.

Power Program

If switch status is on

then i.Power.Variable +1

wait 1 minute

run then Power Program

else

This program would make it such that the number assigned to the i.Power.Variable would indicate to you how many minutes the switch has been on.

I do it like this:

If

Then
  Repeat every 1 minute
     i.timecntr =+ 1

Very much the same concept as jmed999 posted.

-Xathros

One thing to consider about the "variable" examples given above is that they don't account for something being on at say 20% and something being on 100% which would definitely impact power consumption. You could certainly address this with some additional programming. Another way you could track this is by simply using the ISY log. If you export it to Excel, you can sort by Insteon Device and Time. Then with some simple formulas you could arrive at a rough calculation based on the time differences between different states of the device. The added advantage of the Excel method is that you can use past data (everything accumulated in the log) and don't have to wait to accumulate new data.

One thing to consider about the "variable" examples given above is that they don't account for something being on at say 20% and something being on 100% which would definitely impact power consumption. You could certainly address this with some additional programming. Another way you could track this is by simply using the ISY log. If you export it to Excel, you can sort by Insteon Device and Time. Then with some simple formulas you could arrive at a rough calculation based on the time differences between different states of the device. The added advantage of the Excel method is that you can use past data (everything accumulated in the log) and don't have to wait to accumulate new data.

Good info but please keep in mind that 20% light does not equate to 20% power consumption. With the right correction factor in Excel you could still get a rough idea of how much power is being used though.

Archived