Weird AT&T SMS Problem...

BriG

I setup several notifications, both normal and SMS addresses. Everything works as it should except for my AT&T SMS. I tried yournumber@txt.att.net, but it would not work. If I copied the address over to another email system and tested there, it would work. I tried deleting and re-adding the entry, but that did not solve it. Finally, I tried the legacy yournumber@mobile.mycingular.com address format, and that worked. Is it just a problem with AT&T accepting an SMS from the ISY email server? Has anyone else had this problem with an ISY sending an SMS to AT&T with the default SMTP settings?

Hi BriG-

I use #@mms.att.net. This has the advantage that all of the texts come from the same sender rather than oddball random numbers. Very important, make sure neither the subject or body fields are blank or the ISY send will fail. Also, if you are using UDI's default SMTP server, you may want to configure your own ISP's SMTP instead. UDI's server has had some problems with the volume of mail being sent through it and various ISP's have marking it as a spam source. I use Gmail's SMTP on my ISY with excellent results.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Thanks for the MMS suggestion. I knew about that, but my initial preference was SMS. MMS is way better. Plus, for some weird reason, the @mms.att.net goes through just fine (as opposed to @txt.att.net). Having the single sender is much better. Now I am curious if my carrier hits me for MMS messages. I have unlimited texting.

MMS is covered by my unlimited texting plan with AT&T. I had problems with SMS taking days up to a week to deliver when sent through their email->sms gateway. MMS seems to be handled differently.

-Xathros

Archived