Switchlinc Issue...

jmed999

I have a guest bath that has 4 switchlincs. Two switchlincs are by the door and switchlinc #1 controls the lights and switchlinc #2 controls an outlet. The other two swicthlincs are in a different location in the guest bath. Switchlinc #3 controls the fan and switchlinc #4 controls another light.

I thought it was odd to have one of the SW control an outlet so I created a scene such that SW #2 is a 3-way with SW #3. So now the 2 SW by the door controls the lights and the fan (and an outlet that nothing is plugged into thus ignored).

So that's the setup.

Now for some reason if I walk in the bathroom and turn on the lights (SW#1) then the fan (SW#2) everything goes as planned but when I turn off the light (SW#1) the LED light on SW#2 goes down to the off position but the fan and SW#3 is still on.

Also, if everything is off, and I walk in the bathroom, double tap SW#1 on, SW#2 LEDs go up indicating it's on but the fan doesn't start and I never touched that SW.

Can someone tell me how to solve this? Seems weird to me. Thanks!

Can someone tell me how to solve this? Seems weird to me.

Seems weird to me, also.

When you turn on switch#1, nothing happens to switch#2? What happens is switch#2 is already on and you turn ON switch#1?

You have no programs triggered by switch#1?

Can someone tell me how to solve this? Seems weird to me.

Seems weird to me, also.

When you turn on switch#1, nothing happens to switch#2? What happens is switch#2 is already on and you turn ON switch#1?

You have no programs triggered by switch#1?

If everything is off and you turn on SW#1 with a single tap, nothing happens to SW#2. If SW#2 is on then you turn on SW#1 with a single tap then SW#1 turns on and nothing changes with SW#2.

If everything is off, double tapping SW#1 will change the state of SW#2 but not single tapping. If SW#1 and SW#2 is on and you turn SW#1 off...SW#2 changes to appear off but the fan continues to run and the other SW (SW#3) that is in a 3-way still looks on.

I have no programs or scenes associated with SW#1. SW#2 has a scene that makes it a 3-way with SW#3. SW#2 and SW#3 are in 1 program that simply turns the fan off after 10 minutes. These programs or scenes do not have SW#1 in them at all.

If everything is off and you turn on SW#1 with a single tap, nothing happens to SW#2. If SW#2 is on then you turn on SW#1 with a single tap then SW#1 turns on and nothing changes with SW#2.

I was wondering if, somehow, you had #1 and #2 in a scene, with #1 as a controller, with #2 having ON levels at zero. I guess not.

I suppose you could still check the admin panel device listing, choosing either #1 or #2, and further confirming there are no scenes with #1 and #2. But it sounds as if you are confident in this.

If everything is off, double tapping SW#1 will change the state of SW#2 but not single tapping.

Given no scenes involving #1, the only other explanation I can think of for a reaction to double-tap and no reaction to single tap is a program. But there are no programs. This continues to be inexplicable to me.

The exceptions that I can think of: X10. Do any of your devices #1 and #2 have an X10 address? Did you ever create links manually between these two devices, separate from the ISY scene process?

If SW#1 and SW#2 is on and you turn SW#1 off...SW#2 changes to appear off but the fan continues to run and the other SW (SW#3) that is in a 3-way still looks on.

This is not inconsistent with a scene or program involving #1 and #2.

I got nothing here. How far into your system are the tentacles of these three devices? How hard would it be to remove them from the ISY, perform a factory reset on the devices, add them back to the ISY and incorporate into your scenes and programs? I would check each step along the way, after factory reset, that this behavior is gone.

Short of that option, you could try a "restore" device for switches #1 and #2. Perhaps there are some lingering links remaining in these two devices.

I forget the exact steps, but there is also a way to compare link records in a device compared to what the ISY thinks should be there. If there is a mismatch, I believe restoring the device would solve this.

jmed999-

At a minimum, I would try a factory reset on each switch involved followed by a restore device for each from the admin console. If there are any links created outside of the ISY, this will clean that up.

-Xathros

Archived