MobiLinc (iOS) supports Geo-fencing and PUSH Notifications!

InsteonNut

Hi stef2,

One of the iPads (iPad 2) shows push notifications correctly, why my iPad mini retina doesnt show the notifications.

On the iPad that doesn't display a notification, keep in mind that when creating notifications, they are by default targeting the device the notification was created on. So, if you want the same notification to show up on a secondary device go to Settings->Notification Settings and find the notification in the "Other Notifications" list. Tap on it and add it to your iOS device.

Wes

Thanks for your reply...

I already did that, unfortunately it didnt work. I have added all the notifications found in the "other notifications" list into both iPads. In anyc ase, the original notification was created on the iPad mini, then imported in the iPad2 as you suggest, but it is the iPad mini that does not notify me, while the iPad 2 notifies me correctly...

Hi stef2,

It sounds like you've done everything correctly, but the iPad Mini still isn't receiving any PUSH notifications. The possible reasons are as follows:

- Notification created on iOS 6, upgraded to iOS 7. - Solution is to delete the old notification and recreate.

- Verify that under the Settings app Notifications are enabled in general and MobiLinc is allowed for notifications for Banners or Alerts and all options are on.

- Reboot the iPad. Once rebooted, verify it has good access to the internet.

- Log out of your iTunes account and log back in using the iTunes account that was used to purchase MobiLinc initially.

After checking and performing all the above. Go into MobiLinc and create a new notification for one of your variables. After creating the notification, set the variable's Current State value to trigger the notification. Does it work now?

Wes

stef2,

The only other thing I can suggest is to delete MobiLinc and reinstall. When prompted if you would like to allow Notifications from MobiLinc, please make sure to select "Yes".

After you sync back with your ISY through MobiLinc Connect, try setting up and testing a notification again with a device, program, or variable.

Wes

• 1 month later...

Hi stef2,

This is a strange problem. Just to confirm, your other iOS device has always worked but your iPad Mini no longer receives notifications? If that's true, and you've tried all the suggestions I've made with regards to MobiLinc, then I'm afraid that the issue seems to be with the iPad Mini.

Since we've been working with your variables and notifications, this next statement would not impact your scenario, but I'll list it here for completion. Users with ISY-994i firmware 4.2.1 or 4.2.2 plus Z-Wave devices where a notification is setup on the Z-Wave device, will not work. There was a change to 4.2.1/4.2.2 firmware specifically for Z-Wave devices that breaks MobiLinc's Connect's abailty to detect changes to issue iOS Notifications. We have a fix for MobiLinc in review with Apple, however, this does not address the variable issue you were seeing with your iPad Mini.

Wes

• 4 weeks later...

Mobilinc geo-fencing is not playing nicely with IOS 8.

I realize that you haven't pushed out an IOS 8 update yet, but though you may want some advanced notice.

It does not report the border crossings and reflect them in the variable states.

Hi kevkmartin,

Thanks for the heads up. We've only loosely started looking at iOS 8. There are usually a lot of issues in the early betas that we'd like to avoid fighting till the new OS firms up somewhat.

Thanks for letting us know. When we get to our iOS 8 testing, we'll double check the geo-fence operation.

Wes

Hi kevkmartin,

We quickly checked geofencing on iOS 8 with a test iPad Mini we have running the iOS 8 beta 1 and it all performed exactly as expected. We were able to create a new geofence and trigger the fence with location deltas. We also were able to receive the local notifications regarding boundary crossing.

You likely already did this, but since you have to wipe your device to upgrade to the beta OS, you'll need to recreate your geofence regions in MobiLinc after you upgrade.

I'm assuming you are using an iPhone, which we have not yet tested with iOS 8. It's possible there is something unique to the iPhone that we haven't seen yet not exposed through the iPad Mini.

Wes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi-

I am also having problems with PUSH notifications. I am currently working with Wes and have not made much progress. I have wiped my iPhone, reinstalled MobiLinc and followed all the instructions I have been given and nothing works. This started when I wiped my iPhone because things were running slowly. Now PUSH notifications won't work at all. If anyone knows how to fix the problem please let me know.

-Paul

If I recreate my geofence regions, is there any way to tie the updates to an existing variable on the ISY (the one I already set up)?

I have several program's triggering from that variable, and some external perl scripts that read the variable (by variable id) via REST, that id rather not have to update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi kevkmartin,

The short answer is yes, but it's not easy or obvious.

MobiLinc looks at the variable list and picks the next open slot to create the geofence variable. If you make sure all the variable slots are filled (ID numbers) up to and past the old geofence variable and then delete and the old geofence variable and save it, when you create a new geofence in MobiLinc, MobiLinc will use that first empty slot as it's geofence variable save location.

Otherwise, you'll need to go through your programs and update which variable it's using.

Wes

• 5 weeks later...

This is a strange problem. Just to confirm, your other iOS device has always worked but your iPad Mini no longer receives notifications? If that's true, and you've tried all the suggestions I've made with regards to MobiLinc, then I'm afraid that the issue seems to be with the iPad Mini.

Wes,

I just had to upgrade my phone due to a hardware issue (it still works on WiFi, but not cellular).   Now I can't get any notifications to go to the new phone.

If I create a notification on my new phone, I can see the notification on the old phone under "My Settings -> Notification Settings -> Other Notifications" so I know the server seems to know about them.   Device and variable updates are instant, so I know each device is connected to the MobiLinc Connect server.

As a test, I updated my iPad (3rd generation) to use MobiLinc Connect.   That also doesn't get notifications.

I have tried deleting MobiLinc HD, rebooting, setting the date forward, rebooting, setting the date back, reinstalling Mobilinc HD.  I also logged out of iTunes, back in, etc.

Nothing seems to get notifications to anything other than the first device I signed up on.

Hi PurdueGuy,

Have you tried all the suggestions on our Q and A page? This is a complete list of everything we know to get iOS/Apple communicating again so that our push notifications get delivered to your iOS device.

http://mobilinc.com/support/commonquestions/ 

Wes

I have, that's where I got the ideas for setting the dates forward and backward, etc.

I will uninstall Mobilinc for a couple days, and maybe that will clear some cobwebs.

Archived