ELK Program Question

NHWA

I have a program to flash the lights in my house on and off when the alarm goes off (the scene all the lights are in is "alarm"). My program is below:

If

Elk Area 'Home' 'Alarm State' is Burglar Alarm

Or Elk Area 'Home' 'Alarm State' is Medical Alarm

Or Elk Area 'Home' 'Alarm State' is Police Alarm

Or Elk Area 'Home' 'Alarm State' is Emergency Alarm

Or Elk Area 'Home' 'Alarm State' is Fire Alarm

Then

Repeat Every 1 second

Set Scene 'alarm' On

Wait 0 seconds

Set Scene 'alarm' Off

Else

Set Scene 'alarm' Off

However, when I have this program active and I come home and disarm the alarm, it flashes the lights on and off. When I deactivate the program this does not happen. I have another program that is identical to this except in the Then spot I have it send me a text message and this one only goes off with an actual alarm so I'm unsure what is causing the difference. Anyone have any ideas?

First thing, I am trying to figure out what the "wait 0 seconds" is doing.

As far as trouble shooting. Arm your system, then, with your laptop on and running the admin console, watch the program summary page as you enter the house and disarm the system. You will see what programs are running and whether they are running true or false.

The 0 second wait was because I noticed that if I just had the on and off back to back it did not work. For some reason, when I put the 0 second wait and run the then command the lights flash on and off as they are supposed to. I just can't figure out why this programs runs when the system is not in alarm mode. It runs when we open the door and have to deactivate the alarm in that window before the alarm goes off.

I use a different security system so it may not apply. When I open the door the system goes into Alarm mode. The fact that the siren is delayed to allow time to deactivate the system does not change the fact that the system is in alarm mode. If the ELK does the same thing the Program triggers because the panel has alarmed regardless of whether the siren sounds.

I use a different security system so it may not apply. When I open the door the system goes into Alarm mode. The fact that the siren is delayed to allow time to deactivate the system does not change the fact that the system is in alarm mode. If the ELK does the same thing the Program triggers because the panel has alarmed regardless of whether the siren sounds.

That shouldn't be it. There is an "entrance delay active" "if" condition for that.

The fact that it is only happening once makes me wonder if some other program is turning the lights on, and the "else" clause of this one is turning them off. Therefore just a single on/off. I'll have to check if having the entrance delay active is a trigger for any "if" clause containing any of the "alarm state" options.

I suppose the "wait 0 seconds" is putting in a fraction of a second delay.

This may be one of those random things. So I deactivated that program and everything worked fine. I was still perplexed as to why my other program that sends a text message to me when the alarm goes off didn't go off everytime we entered the home and only went off when the actual alarm went home since the lights on program didn't work right.

I ended up deleting all of the "If" in that program and just leaving the "Then". I then went to the program that sends me text messages (which is identical in the IF since I copied one to the other) and added to the "Then" for it to run me all lights flashing program if the alarm goes off. It all works correctly now. No idea why it didn't work the other way since it is the same commands but this work around did it.

Archived