Can the 2477S Switchlinc be used with CFL bulbs?

Hi all, I searched on the topic and I did not find the answer to that question. I know the ApplicanceLinc module can handle CFLs(and it is stated in the specs plus I already do it at home) but I see no mention about CFLs for the SwitchLincs (2477S non dimming). I am planning on replacing some old X10 relay switches (that make a lot of noise when operated) with SwitchLincs so I want to make sure I can use them with the CFLs currently in my light fixture before buying.

Thanks

Physically yes. Some CFLs generate powerline interference to the extent that communication with the SwitchLinc might not be impossible. Examples are many over both the Smarthome and UDI forums. If it turns out there are comm. problems use a different CFL until one is found that does not create interference or install a filter between the SwitchLinc and the CFL(s).

I have used the older power line only 2476S with CFLs. No issues except as pointed out. A few brands may make power line noise when On.

I now have the Cree 9.5 Watt Dimmable LED bulbs on them along with ApplianceLincs. Also just fine.

Several CFL's do cause problems. I have a sylvania that will cause a smarthome switch to power cycle itself and then like slowly ramp the SWITCH on, like it was a 5 second phase.

That's mostly with a dimmer keypad, but a dimmer switch in the same box will exibit the same behavior. I put that CFL on a on/off insteon switch and don't have a problem with it.

Unless I have a need that an LED cannot put out enough light, I won't buy any more cfl's. The LEDS just work better with insteon, imho.

Alan

Thanks for your input everyone.

For now I have a bunch of CFLs in my house so I'll buy non dimming switchlincs to go with them and I'll see if I get comm problems. Switching to LED is tempting but my second half will probably say something like "what the hell is this, I do not like it, put the old bulbs back..." exactly like what she said when I switch from incandescent to CFLs :)

Sounds like a good plan. I never liked the dimming abilities of CFLs. Anything that I have that dims is LED, and most everything else, too.

Regarding LED, your better half will, I predict, like them better. Pay attention to light color and CRI. Use the right bulbs in the right application. They will be happily accepted.

• 1 month later...

A relay device can control a CFL as far as not having the issues dimmers have. Some CFLs generate enough interference to make Insteon communication unreliable. The symptoms generally relate to being able to turn the CFL On but not being able to turn it Off due to the interference.

I have used the older power line only 2476S with CFLs. No issues except as pointed out. A few brands may make power line noise when On.

I now have the Cree 9.5 Watt Dimmable LED bulbs on them along with ApplianceLincs. Also just fine.

I use the Cree 9.5W outside with dimmers (2477D) and they work nice but they buzz a bit so inside instead of using them with an Appliancelinc I prefer the Insteon 8W LED bulb as it is much quieter.

Has anyone found a dimmable CFL that dims nicely? I have a Sylvania 14W Supersaver and it is much to jumpy when dimming and since it's a dimmable CFL the price is getting close the Cree LEDs.

The best dimmable CFL's that I have tested are the PureSpectrum PS20SP: http://www.amazon.com/home-improvement/dp/B0030CW3C8

I purchased 8 of these and have been testing them for 2 years on a KPL dimmer using motion activation (10 minute on time).

The good

• [*:3ctllt06]Low impulse noise (for a CFL). Much better than competing CFL's that would lock up the KPL due to noise transients.
    [*:3ctllt06]Decent, fairly linear dimming range
    [*:3ctllt06]OK color
    [*:3ctllt06]Good power factor

The not so good

• [*:3ctllt06]Very limited product offering - company may be in receivership.
    [*:3ctllt06]Over the two years 6 of the 8 bulbs have died - much less than the advertised 6000 hour life.

In general, Dimmable LED prices are now becoming reasonable. Dimmable LEDs do just about everything better vs Dimmable CFL's. As a result, I can't recommend any dimmable CFL. I have replaced all of my dimmable CFL's with LED's (except my 8 lamp test circuit).

Fixed lighting is another matter. I have many non-dimmable CFL's in task areas (5000K lighting). The cost trade on the non-dimmable CFL's is still in their favor.

I had excellent results from Philips Marathon line of CFLs, but not sure if still available. Like many others, I buy only LEDs now. Light quality better, energy use is less, no warm up time, etc. I used many Philips with Insteon in previous house and was happy, but their price was almost that of what LEDs cost now. Unless you're buying several bulbs and cost is a big issue, just put in a decent, name brand LED and be done with it.

Archived