Insteon-based solar-powered outdoor motion-light

Oakland Jeff

Hi All,

I’m looking for an Insteon-based solar-powered outdoor motion-light solution. I can’t seem to find any ready-made solutions, so I’m wondering if someone has been able to hack any of the off the shelf solar motion-lights with any of the In-LineLinc or Micro Dimmers or the guts of Insteon Motion Detector.

Requirements for such a solution include:

1. Sending wireless Insteon on and off signals that I could catch and use to trigger other lights or programs

2. Wireless Insteon manual control of light

3. Standard motion activated on and user controllable off-delay

While I’m at it, I should say I’m also looking for a solar-powered motion detector for outdoor use.

Does anyone have any experience with sort of hacking?

Thanks,

Jeff

The InLincLinc and Micro Dimmers. Need a 120 volt power line feed. If you want battery power they will not work.

The Motion Sensor goes into a power saving mode and unless woken up will not receive any Insteon RF commands and I believe it is only outgoing RF messages.

Hope someone has done a similar thing and can assist you.

Start with a trigger linc or a leak detector. They are also only one way, but they both will transmit on or off on demand for you. Power a 2420M from a solar recharged battery pack and you are most of the way there.

I'm looking for an inexpensive solar spot myself to put way out in the yard on a copper wind mill sort of artwork. Should be striking at night.

Alan-

Not sure how you define inexpensive but I saw some solar powered LED spots at HomeDepot this weekend. I think they were $30-$40. They were in the landscape lighting section.

-Xathros

• 5 months later...
Hi All,

I’m looking for an Insteon-based solar-powered outdoor motion-light solution. I can’t seem to find any ready-made solutions, so I’m wondering if someone has been able to hack any of the off the shelf solar panels motion-lights with any of the In-LineLinc or Micro Dimmers or the guts of Insteon Motion Detector.

Requirements for such a solution include:

1. Sending wireless Insteon on and off signals that I could catch and use to trigger other lights or programs

2. Wireless Insteon manual control of light

3. Standard motion activated on and user controllable off-delay

While I’m at it, I should say I’m also looking for a solar-powered motion detector for outdoor use.

Does anyone have any experience with sort of hacking?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hello friend were you able to find right Insteon-based solar-powered outdoor motion-light solution? Even I am searching for it so please share some useful information.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived