Linking Motion Sensor

I have a motion sensor (2842-222) that I cannot get to link with my ISY. I've read the FAQ and searched the forums, but nothing has worked.

Here's what I see happen:

- I click the "Link a motion sensor" link in the java console

- I hold the button on the motion sensor until the light blinks

- I click OK on the admin dialog, then I enter the address and a name and click OK

At this point the dialog closes and nothing happens. The little status flag in the corner stays green and says "Ready" the light continues to blink on the motion sensor - in short there is no indication at all that anything has happened, good or bad. I would have expected at least some sort of timeout message from the console after a while, no?

Here are the things that I have done/tried

- Jumper 5 is jumped in the motion sensor, all other jumpers are open

- Did a factory reset of the motion sensor and waited > 5 mins before trying to link

- Have attempted to link both near the dual band switchlincs that I hope the motion sensor eventually talks to as well as within 6' of the PLM itself.

TIA

It sounds like the Insteon Address is already known to the ISY. Click My Lighting then click Address column heading to sort by Insteon address. Verify address of Motion Sensor is not already in the list.

This is what appears in the event trace if the address is already defined.

Mon 06/17/2013 10:29:55 AM : [14 99 51 ] Added to list of devices to link to ISY

Mon 06/17/2013 10:29:55 AM : [14.99.51 00] Device already added, ignored

Run Tools | Diagnostics | Event Viewer at LEVEL 3.

Repeat the sequence to add the Motion Sensor. Post the event trace.

What level ISY firmware are you using?

I checked under "Network" (Is this what "My Lighting" is now called?) and confirmed that the address of my motion sensor does NOT appear in the device list.

I opened the logging window as you described and changed the log level to 3, then I went through the linking process but did not see anything at all in the log window. Do I need to do something to start logging?

No change in behavior: the link window just closes with nothing else happening.

My device firmware is v. 4.0.5

Thanks

If nothing appears in the event window it normally means AV is blocking the push of data from the ISY to the Admin Console. Kaspersky and Avast are common sources that block data. They need to be configured to allow the ISY to push data to the Admin Console.

Another test would be to select a device like a SwitchLinc or KeypadLinc and turn it On/Off with the Admin Console. Does this show any activity in the event viewer window. If not something is blocking ISYs data.

Sorry I just missed you: I was about to post that to make sure logging was working I opened the log window and did a Query, and saw all the device communication logged as expected, so logging is working.

I've also tried on both my PC and Mac and seen the same result, so we can probably rule out interaction with other software on the computer as a potential issue, for what that's worth.

At this point it seems most like a bug in the admin console where it's just closing without doing any work.

Interestingly, along those lines: I've seen it complain that the address was not formatted correctly and I just assumed I fat fingered it the first time, but now I wonder if it's saying I got it wrong every time and then stops processing my input after that. I'll test a little more and report back. So that I'm sure: I can just enter the hex address in any case with no periods right, or do I need the periods?

Well hot damn that was indeed the problem...

Once I entered it correctly with periods it linked up just fine. So I guess it is still a bug though that if you get it wrong the first time, the dialog no longer shows the bad formatting message (leading me to think it was OK) until you restart the admin console.

Thanks for your help!

Archived